ten

Alice POV

"Ready, Alice?"

I stretched, opening my eyes and yawning, "Hmm?"

Jesse laughed, "Ready to go?"  He stood before me with Benji in his wheelchair, wide grin on his face and hands rubbing together like he was planning something.

"Lissy, it's time for baby's first cast!"  Benji's voice called to me as I tried to wake myself.  I laughed, "Awww, my baby Beep! I'm so proud."

My body was sore but I slowly shifted in bed with Jesse's help, moving to the edge and making my way to the bathroom.   I was allowed to change from the hospital gown into regular clothes and slipped into cotton pajama shorts and an oversized Atlanta Braves t shirt from my backpack.  A few minutes to brush my teeth and hair, then wash my face and try to feel more like a human was all it took to zap my energy.

I stepped out of the bathroom while gripping the door frame. "Uhh, Jess? Not sure walking is a good idea for me."

He rushed closer and wrapped an arm around my back, guiding me to the hospital bed. "Sit still, young lady. We just have to go into Benji's room for the cast procedure so I can take him back there then come and get you in a few minutes, okay?"

I nodded, watching them leave while Benji held up peace signs and waved them in the air. The pain medication he was on must be working well.  He has never had anything stronger than Aleve so narcotics are clearly taking care of any pain he feels.

My hands fidgeted with my hair a moment, pulling my locks into a high ponytail before grabbing my cell phone and noticing a few unread emails.

Only one mattered.

"Good morning, Miss Davidson,

Thank you so much for giving us a heads up about your arrival and the devastating news of the train wreck you were involved in. We are so thankful for your safety and cannot begin to say how relieved we are to hear that your brother is also okay. Please keep us updated on your well being as we have remote options available that may work in the meantime before you are physically able to handle the demands of the position you previously accepted.  This could be work from home as soon as you feel ready to take on a few hours a week, as well, so just keep us informed when you can.

Best wishes,

Brian Madison

Appalachian Trail Director"

I read the message again and again, my brain slowly absorbing each word.

Remote options?

Another job?

....wait.... a few hours a week from home??

He's saying I'm not fired??!

Tears poured down my cheeks and I shut my eyes, letting them fall freely.

"Alice?" Jesse sat on the side of my bed and took my hand, "Oh, honey, what's wrong?"

I grinned and let out a surprised laugh, wonder on my face, "Nothing!!  Absolutely nothing!!  Everything is wonderful!"  Another laugh burst from me while I shook my head, completely shocked at such incredible news.

He looked at me like I was insane. 

My phone had already locked so I swiped and entered my password before passing him the device so he could read the message himself.  The expression on his face moved from concerned to confused to congratulatory within seconds.