fifty one

Alice POV

"Breathe, baby... just breathe..."

He couldn't stop puking and I needed to get him regulated.

Shit.

Remington was completely shutting down so my first order of business is getting him stabilized.

It was barely two fifteen in the morning. He called and I barely woke up to hit "Accept" on the phone, only hearing him croak the words, "Lissy... he's gone."

I sprung into action instantly.

This is when I work best. 

I'm good at acting. I'm good at stepping up and getting things done. Within minutes I was dressed and called Leah, apologizing for waking her though she had no problem bringing a pillow to crash on our extremely comfy couch for a few hours. 

I hated to bother her in her condition, but at least the first trimester is over now.

Kenny came with me to the house to deal with the body while I stayed at Remington's side, gently consoling him as his body reacted to what he saw.  We drove separately, making eye contact as I threw my bag into the car and jumped in while he was buckled into the drivers side.

Remington was sitting on the couch when we arrived.  There was one light on over the sink in the kitchen that I knew he usually kept on all the time.

He could not speak, but he didn't need to. I saw in his eyes this would be one more ghost that haunted him the rest of his life.

It didn't take long before Remi rushed to the bathroom, emotions overwhelming him.  Kenny was shell shocked as well so I went back and forth between the two men, checking their pulses and making sure they sipped water and got breathing regulated after a bit.  There were routine items I could do like turn on lamps and soak cool washcloths for foreheads.

 I knew Greg meant the world to Kenny. His own father passed away a few years ago so even in the short time he was Hospice nurse they grew a close bond. They spent hours talking, especially now that Remington was growing closer to Kenny as well.

My heart broke when I saw the pain everyone was feeling. It caused my own hurt to slip further back, tucked away for now so I could empathize and show compassion while we dealt with each step that came our way.

"Okay, coroner is on the way. I covered his... I... wow..." Kenny sighed, falling further against the kitchen counter with a long sigh. I laid a hand on his shoulder and was patient as he continued, "I covered him with a sheet... Liss, it was too hard to see."

"Good. That's good, Kenny. Just do what feels right." I soothed, rubbing his arm and letting out a breath.  "You need to take your time, too.  He was more than just a patient to you.  All your patients are more than a job to you."

He nodded, letting out a hollow laugh.  "Guess that's the problem with my line of work, huh?"

Remington was sitting at the counter, arms crossed and head down while he stayed catatonic. I made eye contact with Kenny and stepped around him, opening a cabinet where I knew coffee beans were kept. The aero press gear was nearby so within a few minutes I had a fresh cup of pour over coffee started with water brewing as I hand ground the perfect twenty one grams of coffee beans.

He perked up and lifted his head, looking at me as I leaned against the counter, trying to look casual while making coffee at nearly three in the morning. Nothing about this situation was relaxed but I had to at least make an effort. My entire game plan was always to keep myself as calm as possible so others could play off my easy manner. This is how Benji stayed so chill in spite of all we dealt with constantly. Everything revolves around the tone you set.