thirty two

Remington POV

I woke up thrashing with my sheets strewn across the bed.  My body felt damp from sweat while I caught my breath after whatever night terror was dragging my subconscious to hell.

Something feels wrong.

Really really wrong.

I know it does, but I can't put my finger on it.

Something pulled me away from the house.

I jumped into shorts and grabbed a shirt, tucking my phone in my pocket without thinking my actions through.  After grabbing Dad's car keys I left a simple note on the table.

"Running errands, be back soon!  Call if you need me!"

There was one place I had to go.

I don't care that it's two am or that I'm tired.

I don't care that my head is fuzzy or that I haven't driven a car in years.  I remember how and it's not like I'm going far.

I was glad I did not take pain meds earlier, even though I passed out fast after getting home.

Today was exhausting and overwhelming but I needed some air.

It was a short drive, the car parking at an angle on the grass off the road as I got out and almost forgot to shut the door before clamoring out to my destination.

I haven't been here in years.

Something called me back to Baker's Pond.

Maybe this connection to Benji pulled me closer to where Reese breathed his last?

I walked slowly in the moonlight, carefully watching my steps over roots and brush until I was at the edge of the pond.  It felt so peaceful even though it was the site of so much loss.  The cloudy night sky had a nearly full moon lighting my movements, a ray peeking through almost guiding me toward one spot in particular.

Like Reese was guiding me to stand just there.

I had to smile, realizing it was around where we used to play.  I knew this place like the back o"If my hand.  We lived here my whole childhood.  Mom always wanted a farmhouse and showed us fun activities to do at the waters edge.  We would skip stones, capture tadpoles in mason jars to show our parents before putting them back in the pond, and explore ever inch of the wooded area surrounding the property.  Dad even built us a small treehouse that Reese named the Castle.

The Castle...

I gasped, my eyes darting around and above, finding remnants of that very structure still secure about ten feet above me.   A faded sign hung signifying the owners and my breath caught when I read, "Remi and Reese's Castle" painted on the scrap 2x4.

"I miss you, Reese..." my whisper was carried by the wind as I stared over the calm water, amazed at the peaceful setting.

This is not how I remember seeing the pond last time I was here.

My memories are all so dark but even at two in the morning this place feels full of hope.

I felt my phone buzz which made my heart race, breathing sporadic at best as I swiped when I saw it was Alice calling me.

I answered, confused as to why she would be up at this time, "Hello?"

"Are you okay? Benji just started freaking out and said I had to call you..." 

I had no idea how to answer.

"Remington? Are you somewhere safe?"

Her voice was so soft and calm, even though it was the middle of the night.  I could feel the concern in how Lissy said my name like a plea, even though she was trying to keep herself from overreacting for Benji's sake.