fifty

BENJI POV

The sun was warm as I stretched, yawning while I woke up.

My leg was looser this morning... wait... afternoon? That made me check my phone to see it wasn't even nine yet. I was excited that maybe I could get this boot off and really begin physical therapy properly by the end of July. If the cast comes off in a week and a half, that's going to make my life so much easier

I was so serious about riding my bike again, even in the boot. My ankle isn't hurting as much and I can just put more pressure on my good ankle. Lissy said once this part is done we still have to make sure I re-learn how to walk, plus give the muscles a chance to regrow. I know it's gonna be a whole process, but that's okay.

It will take time, but healing always does.

I threw on a Luigi shirt with my basketball shorts and yawned, slipping into the bathroom quickly before I turned the corner into the living room. Lissy always curls up with her coffee on her corner of the couch, usually in some kind of pretzel yoga position that my legs would never allow me to try. Peach was on the couch but no one was next to her, so I hollered, "Lissy?"

"Benji?"

A disembodied voice called from the kitchen while I slowly made my way through the room, limping as I held the wall. I was surprised to see Leah and Kenny huddled by the island with coffee mugs in hand.

They had been crying.

Shit.

My legs felt like jelly.

Everything blurred and I felt Kenny grab my waist, gently helping me sit down at the table. "Benji, we love you and are here, okay. Nothing changes. Lissy is with Remington and we will take you there as soon as you feel ready?"

I nodded, my brain processing but I noticed Leah was texting and knew she was letting my sister know I was awake. The pieces were fitting together now.

Greg must have died last night.

Remington must have called Lissy so she could help and she knew what to do. She always does. She didn't want to wake me up and make me see that. She wanted to protect me.

They didn't have to say anything.

I felt that he was gone.

It was like part of me died.

Peach was immediately right in front of me and tear drops fell onto her face before she pawed her way into my arms, hugging me and licking my face as I began to sob and wrap my arms around this precious dog.

My head felt weird and everything started ringing.

Kind of like right after the train wreck, when the crash happened and the car exploded. I felt fuzzy and like nothing made sense. Peach kept me grounded and I kept rubbing her fur, practicing my breathing like Lissy always taught me.

"Okay, Peachie girl... one... two... three... four..." I counted quietly, inhaling while she stared into my eyes and seemed to get why I was so sad.

She looked sad, too.

I guess that makes sense.  She loved him and probably knows he's gone.  Lissy told me dogs are really smart and pick up on feelings better than humans can so Peach probably knew before I did.

It was only a couple minutes and I heard a frantic scream of, "Beep?!," before Lissy was racing toward me and crashing into us as well. Remington approached next and we stayed like that a long while.

I needed more time.

I needed more stories.

I just felt comfortable calling him "Dad," which was the most amazing moment ever. It made him so happy and felt so right for both of us.