Ch- 41 ★The Chase

Recap: Melody is Jay’s ex-girlfriend. Her husband Xavier had killed her and Jay had killed Xavier as revenge. Jake is Xavier’s brother who has been blackmailing Jay for seven years because he knows that Jay had killed Xavier. Now Aura risk her life to find out the truth. Had Jay really killed Xavier? Or had this been Jake’s and Xavier’s scheme for money?

Ch- 41 ★The Chase  

                [Aura]

Location: Unknown

A crash woke me up, rather it lifted the haze from my eyes. Water dripped from my face. I blinked a couple times. A tall shadow hovered over me. Another mouthful of water was splashed on my face. It was the final straw and everything became clear.

                The dull, grey colors and the moist, humid air hit me like a shock.

Jake towered over me. An empty bottle of water clenched in his hand. The muscles in his arms were taunt with tension. With the back of my hand, I wiped the water off my face, taking in the surrounding for the very first time.

My body was sprawled on a cold cement floor. I was in a small, empty room. The walls were grey and unadorned. Few feet away from me, there was rusty iron door. 

I gasped as Jake pulled me to a standing position. The sudden jerk of his hands taking my arms caused a ripple of pain to surge through nerves.

I nearly staggered fell back but he wound his arm around my torso. A cold metal pressed in the palm of my hands. It was my gun. My fingers felt the pocket inside my hoodie. Indeed it was empty. “Take this and run,”

“Wait, What?”

He narrowed his eyes at me. “If you give the slightest shit about ya life, just fucking run,”

“This is a trap.” I gripped onto the gun tightly. It probably was empty. They must have dumped all the bullets in the drain.

“It isn’t. Just believe me.” He brought me closer to himself. “Have you heard of love at first sight?” Heat coursed through my veins, drowning my skin in red. He’s lying, Aura. He wants to know your real motive.

When I didn’t reply, he continued speaking. “I checked your phone’s contact list. Jay’s girlfriend, Huh? Ya pulled off such a brave stunt. I admire you for that. For the very first time, I’ve met some as reckless as myself,” He let me go. I quickly placed some distance between our bodies.

“Trying save that rick bloke, aren’t ya? He don’t need no saving. He’s got plenty of money and all he’s got to do is keep paying us. What’s the problem with that?”

I gripped the gun tightly, the metal grip frame pressing against the inside of my palm.

“The problem is you’ve killed the man inside of him. The guilt is killing him,”

Jake laughed, his slender fingers resting on his lanky waist. Of-course, someone who took lives on a daily basis wouldn’t understand this. “Guilt?” He spoke in between breaths. “Darling, if guilt were real, I’d be dead by now,”

I hated how switched between dialects. One minute he was talking to me like a downtown gangster, the next he was an upper class man. I understood that his thug appearance was just a façade.

I clenched the fabric of my jersey, in the hope of turning on spy camera in the bird shaped brooch.

“Just get leave before someone gets here,”

I think I had turned clicked the button.

“Why are you doing this? Why are you helping me?”

“Because you remind me of her,” He smiled, misty eyed. How can a man like him have emotions?