Ch-27 ★Worth it

Ch-27 ★Worth it

[Jay]

            “Shit,” I breathed out, taking in the massive -terrifying yet glorious- drop from Aura’s private jet. The exit door was flung wide open exhibiting clouds and the forest green and mud brown patches of land.

            Aura grinned as she fastened her fuchsia pink goggles and secured the parachute bag in place. The wind blew strands of her pecan colored hair out of the tight bun she wore. “Ready?”

            “Hell no,” I groaned, fastening my goggles nevertheless.

She rolled her lively blue eyes. “Come on, it’ll be fun,”

            “Jumping out a of a plane is not my idea of fun,”

I could tell she was trying to hold back her laughter. I narrowed my eyes, leaning far from the door. Today was seriously not my day. I woke up to an empty bed, freaking out like hell on where she had run off to. Considering how unstable she was the night before I had the damn right to freak out. 

            Then ten tormenting minutes later she barges into my room like she owns the place well she does but that’s not the point. She announces that we’re going skydiving on her damn private jet.

            Do you get me? No? Of-course you wouldn’t understand.

I have a freaking fear of heights. I’m scared of falling and splat- dying.

“If you really want to kill me, I’m sure there are better ways to do it,”

            Again, she rolls her eyes. “You’re not going to die,” She answers, leaning way too close to the exit for my liking. Her fingers reach out the door, a content smile on her lips. The air rushes through her hands.

            “Try it,” She smiles. “It feels really good,”

“I’m good,” I mutter, begrudgingly.

She leans back on the planes black floors, her legs pulled into a crisscross- a tight black suit clinging to her body. A similar kind of suit clung to me as well except it was grey and much, much larger. I sit on the floor next to her, our trainer- Coach Steve stands behind us.

He was a man with ageing greys, overly wide smiles and a bulky body. I almost felt envious for an old man like him having a better built than me. He had trained mostly me for the past four hours on how to jump and make the dive. On which height I shall pull the lever for the parachute and on how I should keep my legs and arms positioned.

            He told me that I wouldn’t have to worry much since Aulaura here was a pro-skydiver and she’d handle me if anything went wrong.

            I don’t doubt that. She probably will. It was in her eyes, the way she would watch me sometimes, with her eyes drawn together- her cheeks flush with color and her lips pressed together so tightly that color would drain out of them.

            That’s how I used to look at Melody. I know the feeling; the feeling of caring about someone till your pounding hearts begins to bleed. How you’d want to stop time and keep them in your embrace forever. To know they’re safe right there in the cage of your arms. It’s petrifying and blissful at the same time.

            Coach Steve’s voice rang crisp over the load noise of the motor.  “On the count of three I want you to jump,”

            Aura smiles at me, her hands giving my hand a gentle squeeze “Don’t worry. It’s not as high as it looks,” She knows. She knows about my fear of heights. It’s embarrassing but endearing.