Ch-33 ★Shatter these distances

//unedited//

Ch-33 ★Shatter these distances

      [Jay]

Houston, Texas

            The deafening sound of the crowd echoed in the stadium glimmering with yellows lights and white phone screens. I held the mic close to my mouth. The middle chord struck a sharp note in the loud air.

            “And she cried ‘you were never there

            When I fell apart,

            You should’ve held me close to your heart,

            But you didn’t

            You never loved me’

         Fans were screaming wildly. The bass guitar and the drums reached their ultimate peak. Breaths left me in a rapid drag. My pulse was rough -I was tired but I had to go on even if my muscles tore apart and my bones ached. Matthew smiled at me from behind the drum set- there was a proud gleam in his eyes as the drumsticks struck the snare drum.

       I walked out to the center stage. It was large, larger than the other ones I’ve performed on. It was an open roof stage. You could see the night sky and feel the cold air billowing against your skin. Goosebumps rose on my skin.

        It wasn’t from the chilly weather. Rather it was from the magnitude of the crowd. It was huge. I was closer to the edge of the stage. There were girls, beautiful faces in a blur smiling at me, reaching for me. I would have smiled back if it weren’t for the oppressive song I was singing. It was the song I wrote when I was thinking of Aura. It was the song that constantly reminded of the reasons why she left me.

        The beat dropped and I realized that was my cue. There was smoke as the trapdoor beneath my feet collapsed. Boom I was beneath the stage. People scrambled around me. A harness was tossed over my shoulder. My leather jacket was tore off my arms. The stylist smiled shyly at me as she helped me pull the white shirt over my head.

        It was the same. I’ve done this act over a gazillion times but every time it brought the same ripple of excitement inside the pit of my stomach.  

     One of the guys from the crew gave me a thumb up. My heart sped with anticipation.  I don’t remember who walked me to the stairs that led to the rooftop. It was all such a chaotic blur.

      “Ready?” Someone asked me.

“Aren’t I always?”  I distantly remember myself answering.

            The door flew open and I stood on top of seats- near the edge of the roof. A blinding spotlight was aimed in my directions.  I walked on the small ramp. A wave gasps erupted through the audience. All eyes were up in the sky where I stood on the ledge.  When I started doing this precarious act, I used to be extra careful about my balance. Now I just don’t fucking care.

            “The ground beneath my feet has vanished

            I can’t stand anymore

            Without feeling like I’m walking on air

            All I’ve thought about since you left,

            Is all we could’ve been,

            I promise, I promise,