Ch-34 ★Burning the bridges

            [Jay]

“It’s you,” I couldn’t find the voice to speak. “Aulaura,”

            I wouldn’t consider it anything less than a miracle that I had finally found her. My angel, Beatrice was in my arms. It was because of her I had found Aura again. Several times in my mind, I imagined what it would like to finally come face to face with Aura. I imagined her tender touch, the flush color of her cheeks, and a dazzling smile on her lips but this was nothing like I imagined it to be.

            Yes, I had found her but it wasn’t the Aura I knew. It was her pale shadow, a shadow which no longer held the warmth I had fallen in love with. Somewhere in my heart, I knew that I was the reason for this.

            She didn’t smile. It didn’t seem to be in her nature anymore- to smile or even laugh.

She averted her gaze. “Is there anything else I need to do, officer?”

            The policeman shook his head. “Nope, you’re done here,”

“Thank you," She began to walk away. The sight of her retreating back shot a wave of pain through me.

I have to stop her before fate tears us apart again. I set Beatrice on the ground and grabbed her hand.

“Stop, Aura,” I nearly yelled. The eyes of the policeman and detective snapped in our direction. She didn’t stop. She kept on walking, increasing her speed by a notch.

“Don’t do this to me, damn it!” My voice broke as tears slid down my cheeks. I could feel Beatrice tighten her hold on my hand, her tiny fingers weaving through mine.

“Daddy, what’s wrong?” She looked puzzled. Her big blue eyes stared at me in concern.

I shook my head.

            “Please,” God, I’ve never felt so vulnerable. If she doesn’t want to talk to me, I can’t force her. Damn, why won’t my heart listen to me? Her steps did not faze.

 “If you walk away today, you might never see me again. There are things you need to know before I give myself to the police,”

This made her stop. She turned around to face me- her stormy blue eyes wide in shock and confusion. “What?”

The distances were disappearing; her footsteps were hesitant as she came back to me. Her eyes flickered between Beatrice and me.

“What do you mean?”

“You need to come with me for that,”

            I could see the war raging inside her- there was indecisive look on her face.

She heaved a deep sigh before giving in. “Okay,”

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Note: cover to the side by veronica. thank you!