Ch-31 ★Whirlwind

Ch-31 ★Whirlwind

One Year Later

[Aura]

            Galveston, Texas

            The light, salty gale blew over my arms, relieving me the scorching Texas humidity. Shuffling my feet I leaned on the counter of the petrol pump’s store.  I worked here now. Not for the sake of money but for my sanity. These isles filled with junk food and beverages had been my companion for the past year.

            Cars came and went. Life moved on. Time doesn’t cease. Only my life seemed to have come to a strange standstill. I wanted to move on. I really did but there were things pulling me down.

            The neon green petrol pump’s shirt was stuck to my skin. Even inside the store, the heat didn’t simmer down. The air conditioning had little effect. I guess because I stood so close to the door, watching and staring out the store’s display window.

            In the glass window’s light, I caught my own reflection. My long, brown locks had abandoned me a long time ago. In their place lay short, black-dyed hair that barely went past my ear.  I had lost a-lot of weight because of my lack of appetite.  My cheekbones were jutting out in an odd angle. There were deep, sleep deprived hollow circles underneath my eyes. I looked tired and old. My skin has lost its color- it was now a papery pale.

            I couldn’t recognize myself. No-one did anymore. The world was awhirl with the news of Samantha Grey being the new CEO of the Innovation. People didn’t think about Aulaura Grey anymore. She was old news – a broken, distraught nobody who was completing her degree in dance at a community college in Galveston.

            Dance used to make happy. It still does. I’m learning many forms of dance in college. It’s fascinating and edifying. There is so much to learn and so little time. In the few moments, I dance- everything fades away from the darkness I’m drowned in into something glorious and alive.

When those few moments lapse, I’m left in a world without light- a world without anyone to love and care for, a world without my family, a world without Jay.

                        The day when I left them all is still clear in my mind as though yesterday.

            In the trembling hands of my mother, I placed the small, yellow envelope. It held divorce papers which I had gotten Cassidy to make. I had already signed them. It also held a letter containing all my feelings.

 Mom and I stood outside Sam’s room at the hospital. She was perfectly alright now, sleeping soundly with Matthew sitting beside her. The police officer has questioned her about the accident and she denied my involvement. I wish she hadn’t because at least then I would have gotten what I deserved. After Sam woke, she had spoken to Matthew and dad. The doctors were concerned that if she met too many people at once it might put too much stress on her. That didn’t stop Sam from asking about me.

            She wanted to meet me but I didn’t. I couldn’t. What was I going to say?’ Sorry for nearly getting you killed.’

            I waited- waited for Sam to fall asleep and to get mom alone.

Jay had gone out, somewhere. Dad was at the office, catching up on the pending work. Mom stayed. I don’t why. Later I realized she was waiting for me.

“What is this dear?” Mom lifted the flap of the envelope.

I stopped her. “It’s for Jay,”