Ch-12 ★Men in striped shirts

[Aulaura]

Innovation Headquarters, London

The wind was nice and gentle, carrying coolness of the incoming rainstorm. I held my floral umbrella upright with my duffel bag slung across my shoulder. The rain fell on my umbrella gently as small platter sounds echoed through the cloudy afternoon air.

 I walked through the well-trimmed and well-maintained lawn of the Innovation’s main-office. The entrance to the Innovation Headquarters was grand. It showed the success and powers my father’s company held.

There were white, erected pillars holding the silver dome together. A blue, sign on which Innovation had been written was sticking out through the silver dome. I narrowed my eyes to read the caption under it ‘Inspiring the new generations of engineers’.

I know there are probably a million other people dying to work under the Innovation. I should feel lucky to be the daughter of the owner. I shoulder be grateful for having a brilliant father. I’m always told that there are millions others who are willing to take my place. I know there are millions other who desire to have what I have but still I can’t respect all of this.

Only a man who is hunger for this can respect it. A man who is powerless can truly respect power. A man who is starving will cherish food. A man who is poor will value money.

All of this was given to me. I didn’t ask for it. Maybe if I had to earn this position as the future CEO I would have respected it but I didn’t earn any of this. It was thrown in my face by saying that it was my destiny.

My soul was hunger for dance not this vain position of the CEO. Why is that we human’s want things that aren’t given to us? Why do we want attain things that we can never have? Why do we desire thing opposite to our set destiny or lives?

I stepped inside the company through the automatic, double doors as the warm, air conditioned air caressed my face. I closed my umbrella, hooking my hand with its handle.

The interiors of the company always managed to steal my breath as if it were first time seeing it. It was magnificent. There was a white, steal reception area beside it there were white couches with blue, grey cushions. The hall was majestic.  You could see a light, yellow design falling on the marbled floors from the silver dome.

There were two exits one which led to the fourteen elevators of the branch and other led to the triple, spiral staircase. The walls were white, adorned with various medals and awards the company had won. No-wonder my father walked around with a big ego.

The reception area was bustling with activity. There were four receptionists. All four of them were wearing the company’s uniform which was a white shirt and blue pencil skirt.

The receptionist on the right end sat behind the counter attending a group of four freshers (new engineers) while the other three were attending the college students who were visiting the company.

It was Friday which meant training time for the future CEO. My father thought it would be a good idea for me to learn the ropes of the business. Right after the college lecture were over, I was supposed to report to Mrs. Cummings’, the head of the marketing department. She was nice, old women with a strict demeanor and low temper. It was so easy to get on her bad nerve.

 All you had to do was disagree with her. She hated it when anyone told her she was wrong or she needed to change her ways. So basically all I did when I was around her was repeatedly say ‘Yes of course, Mrs. Cummings,’ or ‘You’re absolutely right Mrs. Cummings,’ and she would be my happy, chirpy mentor.