Back the Basics

After signing lots of paper work the front desk finally releases me. Everyone quickly grabs one last hug for the night before separating. Bobby, my mom, and I walk back to my room. "Kaley you alright you know you have these crutches for a reason" my mother tell me holding them out. I sigh. I'm growing pretty frustrated of everyone treating me like I'm disable or something. All I've been hearing is "Are you ok Kaley ?" or "Do you need help with or that?" it's annoying.

We finally arrive at my door "Ok Hun so you're sure everything's ok?" My mom questions me with a stern look in her face, "Ugh, yes ma'am I'm fine mom, honest" I say getting aggravated. "Ok if you say so" She says kissing my forehead, "You and Emma should get up early for our salon trip I'll be back around 9:30 tomorrow morning" she explains before walking off, "Ok" I say "Love you" she says.
"Love you too" I reply as she leaves. "Need me to come in?" Bobby questions nervously biting his lip, I glance at him before sighing. "No I'm-" I pause "It's okay Bobby I'll be ok, I'm fine" I elaborate , He shoves his right hand deep into his pocket and runs the other threw his hair and sighs.

"You sure?" He questions. I roll my eyes. "Yes Bobby, I've been in a coma for four months I just need to think" I say placing my hand in the middle of his chest. He looks defeated for a second, before grabbing my hand and staring at it. "Alright if that's what you want " he says in half a whisper I nod my head and he walks off down the hall into his room I swipe card in the slot unlocking my door.

Once I make it inside the room I lay on my bed grabbing that familiar teddy bear I always cry with. I look down at my pink hospital wristband guilt instantly consuming me. In a way this wristband reminds me of Liam. If it weren't for Him I even wouldn't have it. I'd be dead. I look around the dorm to see all my older get well gifts, from my first hospital trip. I stand and sit in a open circular space surrounded by everything, I've never gotten the chance to look and see what I received. I reach up grabbing a box from my mom and dad, it was a care package with smell goods, After that I grab a huge heart with my face drawn in it. It was very pretty. Through the many flowers I see a giant black card I open it and it reads.

"Through your feelings I can tell
That you weren't feeling well
I mean this from the start
When I say you'll always have my heart, I love you with all my cells
And I'm stuck to you like nails knock me from this cell
And get me from this lonely jail" I read the amazingly sweet poetry, I glance further down the giant card.

"From Liam" I read I can't help the year that runs down one of my eyes. Liam wrote me this and I never knew it until now. I want to visit his grave but I don't think in mentally strong enough for that right now. My senses are brought back when the door opens up. Emma floats inside right above my head before dropping in her bed and screaming into her pillow.

"Emma?" I question, "You alright?"
"I didn't know you were in here" Emma says slanting up like a deer in the headlights. "Yeah" I huff standing from the floor "What's going on ?" I question walking over to her bed and sitting next to her. "Preston" she simply says. "What about him ?" I ask, "He, he's to much of a puzzle I really like him Kaley" she says sadness evident in her demeanor, "But it's like I'm completely invisible to him" she says her voice trembles she's on the verge of tears. "What's wrong with me Kaley" she questions biting down on her trembling lip. "Emma...." I say sorrowfully.

She lies her head on my lap, "Boys like Preston find it kinda hard to, well express their feelings, they're afraid it will make them look weak or vulnerable" I say caressing her hair. "Maybe he does like you it's just that he doesn't know how to say it, have you tried reading his mind?" I ask I know I shouldn't have said that cause it's a total invasion of privacy . "I heard that" Emma says I cringe my face. "And yeah I've tried but it's completely blank up there" Emma explains. "Are you sure you're not listening to your own brain instead" I tease her. She laughs, "I can't read him " she pauses "Literally! I've tried reading his mind thousands of times" Emma explains.