North Mammon Pt. 2

Once we all returned inside, Hotch and Morgan went to ask Brooke a few questions. I stayed in the lobby of the Police Department keeping an eye on the parents along with Reid. Gill walks up to us and puts his hands to his sides.

"Agent Del la Cruz, when you said we all grew up together, something struck me. We all played football together. Don, Pete, even the sherif. We were all on the last championship football team" he explains to me. And suddenly it all clicks.

"The championship game is tonight" I say staring at the 1984 football team photo on the wall. I take it off and walk straight to the private room, not even bothering to knock.

"Agent Del la Cruz you were authorized to watch the parents." Hotch tells me as he twists his back to look at me. I nod politely and put on my gentlest voice.

"Hotch do you mind if I..."

"Go ahead." He says motioning me to take his seat as he begins to stand. I gently take my seat in front of Polly and slide all my weight to my crossed arms as I lean closer to her over the desk.

"Hey Polly. My names Isla. When I was in high school I was kinda like you. Good girl, always did her homework, I was even on a team. Not soccer though, volleyball. I got into a college with the help of my sports and academic scholarships, definitely not a school as great as Pennstate. Your mom is so proud of you, you know that?" I ask her in almost a whisper.

A single tear falls from her eye as I continue. "She carried your picture allll the way to Virginia so the team and I could help find you. She was so determined, I saw her in the elevator with me. I know a face of a person who wouldn't take no for an answer. So whatever happened these last few days, no matter what. All of this..." I say motioning to the room and the agents. "Will all be just a memory one day. But at the end of the day you'll know you have a mom that loves you more than anything." I tell her giving her a small smile.

"Is it okay if I show you a photo Polly? All you have to do is look at the men in it and point at who did this to you." She nods softly and wipes her eyes with the back of her frail hand. I give her an incouraging smile before grabbing the picture frame that's upside down, and turning it so she can see it. She lets out a small sob as her eyes travel along the rows of men in the picture.

She slowly looks up at us and lets out a few sobs before opening her trembling mouth to speak.

"He made us...choose. H-he threw us in a cold room and t-told us that we had to kill one out of the t-three of us. And that we had to c-choose." She says unable to control her tears and shaky voice.

"Who did?" I ask. She rolls her lips into her mouth and points a shaky finger to the man who did this to her and her friends.

Morgan tenses and puts a hand on the back of my chair leaning on it, and I knew exactly why. It was the garbage man...

"Good job Polly." I tell her as I give the frame to Hotch. I hear Morgan whisper who the unsub is into Hotches ear, and he soon gets up and leaves the room. Morgan following after him, not until giving Polly a small thankful smile.

"I'm gonna call your mom in Polly." I tell her before patting her trembling hand softly and following Morgan, signaling at JJ to bring Polly her mother.

I walk up to where the sherif, Gideon, and Morgan are standing.

"Marcus Younger. He was the star of our team before he blew his knee out in the first quarter of the championship. He lost fullride scholarship to Notre Dame." The sherif explains.

"That's the turning point." I say right before Gideon asks, "do you know where he lives?"

He nods yes and motions for us to follow him. We all shrug on a bulletproof 'FBI' vest before jumping into a police van, and speeding towards his address. Morgan, Gideon, and I hop out of the van and run into the house holding our guns out. The rest of the police following right behind us.