Foster Care

I grab my boiling mug from the kitchen counter and walk towards Morgan on the couch for breakfast.

He shuffles slightly to the left allowing me to curl myself under his arms. He wraps his right arm over my shoulders as we watch the news Sunday morning. After drinking our coffees we get up and make our way to the kitchen.

Dereks loud doorbell causes my eyebrows to furrow as I look at Derek.

"You expecting someone?" I ask him. He looks at the door than back at me.

"No. You?" He asks getting anxious.

"No..." I trail off as I grab my gun and slowly walk towards the door with Morgan. I look through the peephole to see no one standing there.

"There's no one there." I whisper. Morgan squints his eyes before looking into the peephole himself. Once he stops he licks his lips.

"Ima open the door." I whisper causing Morgan to grab my wrist.

"Are you crazy?! No!" He whisper shouts at me. I shush him and take my wrist out of his grasp before clinging onto the door handle. I unlock the locks and slowly open the door, leaning my gun on the other side just in case. I look forward and don't see anyone.

"Isla!" A little voice yells causing me to look down. A small brunette little girl who wears a pink dress looks up at me with a toothy smile. A lanky boy with curly hair stands next to her, holding her hand.

"Princess!" I say picking her up. I look down at the preteen boy and ruffle his hair.

"What are you two doing here?" I reprimand slightly.

"We came to visit the prince and princess." Olive says. I look at her with a small smile before placing her into Morgan's arms.

"Tyler..." I start before closing and locking the door. He sighs and plays with the hem of his shirt.

"We ran away." He mutters.

"I can see that. But why?" I ask.

"We don't like it there." She answers.

"Did they do something to you?" I ask hoping the answer was no. He shakes his head causing me to sigh in relief.

"No, they're really nice." He speaks before sitting on the dining table chair. I sit across from him and look into his light eyes.

"Than I don't understand why you'd run away." I say honestly.

"Because they're not you." He whispers lowly. I sigh and place my elbows on my knees.

"You know I can't adopt you." I tell him and he nods slowly.

"I know, your job. But..." He starts but fades off knowing he doesn't have a standard reason.

"I get it Tyler. I really do. We have a connection. Me, you, Morgan, and Olive. But we are gone days at a time. We have dangerous lives, it'd be irresponsible to adopt you two and not be able to properly take care of you guys." I say putting my head in my hands.

"Besides I'm not motherly. Sure I can do the basics but I don't know how to do all the things moms do." I explain. He looks up at me and bites his lips.

"We don't even know what motherly is, we won't have a problem with it." He tries to persuade. I shake my head and grab his thin hands.

"You deserve to know what motherly love is." I whisper before looking at Morgan twirl Olive around like an airplane. "Both of you do." I say with a ghost of a smile lining my face.

"I don't want to go back." Tyler squeaks. Just then my phone rings causing me to let go of Tyler's hand and grab it, bringing it up to my ear.

"Del la Cruz." I voice.