Ch. 2 - Oh Dear

Walking into school, I strut like no other. I, Riley Green, have kissed the one and only Asher Westfield. And everyone knows.

I'm the freaking blue & black and white & gold dress right now. No one can stop talking about me. No one understands why or how someone like me was so lucky to get the pleasure of kissing Asher Westfield.

Normally, I'd be a bit embarrassed to be the topic of all gossip. But when the gossip is about me making out with Asher Westfield at a Lakers game, I can handle it. Actually, I do better than handle it. I own it.

"The fact that my best friend is currently the most talked about girl of the weekend makes me want to give an acceptance speech!" Sam says as we stop at my locker. "They're all looking at us. It's so freaking awesome!"

"Do I look chill about it? I'm trying to look like I don't care but in reality I haven't stopped peeing my pants since Saturday."

Sam laughs. "Well, put on a diaper because I heard from Lauren Yukon that she was talking to Brent Porter and he said that Franny Waltz heard from a distant source that Nina Hall was making out with Asher Westfield at a party on Sunday and he said that you were a better kisser than her."

I widen my eyes in shock. "Although I'm not entirely sure that I can trust Lauren Yukon and her sources, I'm still about to throw up right now!"

"Are you being serious?" Sam asks and takes a step back. "Because with Wren having the flu and everything...or are you pregnant?"

I shake my head in laughter. "Let's not get that rumor spreading."

"I mean, it'd be pretty cool if everyone thought you were carrying Asher Westfield's child."

Apparently, that had been the rumor. When I walked into first period, everyone's eyes were on my stomach. Yes, genius high schoolers, if I were impregnated over the weekend it would be completely evident that Monday. It is humorous, really.

I take my seat, the whispers stopping to just become staring. It's like they are waiting to get a reaction from me. But I don't have one to give.

"Hi," I say to the quiet kid next to me. His name is Dexter. No one knows much about Dexter, but he seems cool to me. I mean, his name is Dexter! Plus, he'll always lend me a pencil or whisper the right answer when I'm stuck.

"Hey."

"How was your weekend?" Our conversations are always one-sided, me being the one to keep it going.

"Fine."

"Whoa, don't get too excited," I tease.

I've never actually made Dexter laugh before, but I'm trying. Once he cracked a smile. It was a magical moment.

"What'd you do?" I ask, wanting to talk to him rather than listen to the whispers being tossed around the room as if I wasn't right there.

"Nothing."

"Damn, Dex, you're living the life of a party animal!"

He just shakes his head. I'm not going to give up on this kid, no matter how long it takes.

"Hey, Riley, how was your weekend?" the girl behind me, Georgia, asks in her high-pitched voice.

"It was fine," I answer, giving Dexter a look for help. He just stares down at the notebook he's doodling in.

"Is it true that you're pregnant?"

Dexter, my quiet and completely chill friend, nearly falls out of his seat. I never expected him to be in on gossip and whatnot, but clearly he hadn't heard anything.