Ch. 9 - Out of the Blue

Riley's friends on the side ~>

"Go, Zander!" Sam cheers from the bleachers.

I clap as our awkward, clumsy friend attempts to run the ball down the field.

Though he is the least athletic person I have ever met, he decided to try out for the football team. I think part of it is to please his mom, who has the mindset that good boys play sports. She's very old fashioned.

But I'll always love her chocolate chip cookies.

The team lost almost half of it's players to concussions this year, so they're holding tryouts to recruit new players.

"Do you really think he'll make it?" I ask, cringing as Zander falls face first into the ground.

"Not a chance..but he looks so cute in the uniform!"

I shake my head and sit down on the bleachers. "Explain to me why he didn't just join the chess team."

"Once again," she pauses to sit next to me, "he wants to be Wren Green."

I glance at my brother, who is on the sidelines with his buddies. He's directing Zander on where to go, pointing his finger to the end zone.

Zander nods his head as if he understands, but then he looks to me and Sam and mouths 'I don't know what he's saying'.

I laugh, running a hand down my face. "He's hopeless!"

"The scrawny kid running in the opposite direction of the end zone?" Asher asks and takes a seat next to me on the bleachers.

"That'd be the one. What are you doing here?"

He points out to the field. "The kid without his shirt on is my best friend."

"Tucker is trying out?" I ask in interest.

I spot him on the field, the only kid without a shirt on. One of Wren's friends his explaining something to him, but he doesn't really look like he's paying much attention.

"Yeah. The principal suggested it. Guess it'll help him release anger and then eventually become more like Edward Cunningham."

Sam scoffs. "Screw him."

"We're not fans of Edward Cunningham," I clarify.

"Edward Cunningham is the greatest thing to walk this planet next to Zac Efron and Asher Westfield!" some girl hisses as she passes us.

"Do you see what I mean about the whole celebrity status thing?" I ask Asher teasingly.

He shakes his head, giving my sides a quick pinch. "Enough of that!"

I slap his hands away, still laughing. He brushes away a strand of my hair, his finger trailing the side of my face. His eyes flicker to my lips, and I know what he's thinking.

"Wren could be watching," I whisper as he leans in closer.

"Let him watch."

I'm taken aback by his sudden boldness. He holds my jaw lightly as his lips press against mine eagerly.

Everything else leaves my mind when I kiss Asher. It's like he holds this power over me that stops me from thinking straight, and I kind of like it.

"You have to stop kissing me out of the blue like that," I say, flustered.

"No, please keep it up!" Sam interrupts, clapping her hands together. "Like, wow, Asher Westfield."

"Sam," I groan in embarrassment. "Please just continue watching your terribly clumsy boyfriend get beat up on the football field."