Ch. 44- Love Shack

"Dad, are you crying? What's the matter?" I ask and stand by his side. "Did mom show you the picture of that dead bird she saw on her walk with Mrs. Harris? Because you have to remember that it's in a better place now."

"I think your father is emotional seeing his baby girl all dolled up and as beautiful as ever," my mom says and hands my dad a tissue.

My dad shakes his head. "No, no. It's none of that. I had just expected that we'd.. Oh, it's silly. I shouldn't say."

"Tell us," I urge.

"Okay," he hesitates, "I expected us to take these pictures on the yacht!" He covers his eyes with the palms of his hands. "There. I said it. I will not be attacked for my personal feelings! Leave me alone!" He blows his nose in the tissue dramatically.

I cover my mouth to keep from laughing.

"Are you kidding me?" my mom asks in anger. "Honey, what is your problem? Riley is very sensitive about all of that right now and you dare bring it up!"

"You asked me to admit my true feelings, Cathy! I did! Drop it," he demands angrily. "Now, Riley, stand in front of the stupid tree and smile."

I do as he says and strike a pose next to the tree in our front yard. Wren walks out of the house in his tuxedo, a frown on his face when he sees mom taking pictures of me.

"There's my handsome boy!" my mom says excitedly. "Go stand next to your sister and smile pretty."

Wren makes his way over to me, pushes me to the side, and poses in a weird position. I try to fight my way back into the shot, but Wren continuously pushes me out of the way.

"Tonight is not your night! This is my last dance and you can buzz off, dorkwad," he says in annoyance.

I look to my mom who shakes her head in disapproval. "This is my first school dance, fartface! The moment needs to be documented."

"Let me get a photo of my two babies together," my mom says and motions for us to stand closer.

I try to put my arm around Wren for the photo, but he continues to pose bizarrely. I stand awkwardly behind him with a small smile on my face.

"What time is it?" Wren asks.

"Time for you to get a-"

"I don't have time for dad jokes, father," Wren says plainly. "I have to pick up Sara by four."

"It's five," I inform. "Your timing is really impeccable."

Wren's eyes widen and he sprints back into the house, tripping on the doorstep before crawling the rest of the way in. My mom follows him inside to make sure he doesn't forget anything.

"So, honey, who is boy you're going with again?"

"Dexter," I answer. "He's really shy, so I'd appreciate it if you just left him alone."

My dad scoffs. "And what did you expect I was going to do?"

"To try and be the intimidating dad that we all know you aren't. Mom is more threatening than you," I inform him.

"It's the haircut, isn't it?" he asks and rubs the top of his head. "I told Barney that I wanted it longer than this."

I laugh. "Sure is, dad."