Ch. 31 - You Want Me

"Wouldn't you rather be spending your New Year's Eve with your boyfriend?"

"What?" I drop my jaw for dramatics. "There's no place I'd rather be than to be here with my best friends!"

Sam and Zander give me this look of theirs, the one when they don't believe anything that's coming out of my mouth.

I sigh. "Okay, maybe Asher already had plans."

"Surprise," Sam mutters.

"No, I'm glad he has plans. The three of us always spend New Years together and this could be the last year. Let's make it count."

"That's putting a lot of pressure on us," Zander says. "I mean, all we had planned for tonight was watching Ryan Seacrest's New Year's Party."

"Don't sell us short, honey. We were also thinking about going to the store and frosting cupcakes," Sam adds.

"I love Ryan Seacrest and cupcakes," I say proudly. "And I also love my best friends."

Sam nods, hiding her smile. "Fine. I guess it won't hurt for you to stay. But Zander and I will share our first New Year's kiss no matter what."

"I wouldn't dare intervene!"

So, our night begins just like always. It feels nice doing something I'm comfortable with. After everything that has changed this year, having a night like this is something I needed.

"Are you still pissed with Asher?" Sam asks as we sit on Zander's basement floor in front of the TV.

"What? Over the bracelet?" I ask. "No, I totally overreacted."

"I don't know," she comments. "It seemed a little suspicious to me. Like, how did Sara know the bracelet was from Asher and not Wren?"

"And why did Asher switch with Tucker in the first place? It wouldn't have been that hard for Tucker to get her a gift. Sara could've received a Playboy magazine too."

"Guys, are you trying to make me question my relationship? I trust Asher. His explanation made sense."

Sam sighs. "We're just looking out for you. He broke your heart once."

"That was before he was ready for a real commitment," I argue. "You told me I should forgive him."

"And I'm not taking that back. It's good for you to try with the relationship again, but I just think you should take more time before declaring your love for him."

"We know each other this time." I let out a heavy sigh. "I'm falling in love with him for real. And as scary as that is, I'm happy."

"And I'm happy for you," Sam assures. "Really, I am. I just don't want you to forget that this is just a high school relationship."

I nod. "Just like your relationship with Zander?"

She raises her eyebrows, a little taken aback by my sassy comment. "Yeah, like my relationship with Zander."

I hint the sadness in her voice. "Sam, what's wrong?"

"I don't know, Ry," she whispers, glancing at the staircase to see if Zander is coming down. "I'm moving to Nebraska and...and I don't know if we can still be a couple."

"You're going to breakup with Zander?" I ask a bit too loud.

Sam slaps her hand over my mouth to silence me. "No! No, that's not that I'm going to do! I'm just worried that we'll distance each other and end up splitting."

"Oh, Sam.." I wrap my arms around my friend, who looks close to tears. "Don't worry. He loves you so much."

"I know. That's just it! What if..what if I'm the one who moves on? What if I'm the reason I lose him?"