Ch. 40 - The Ladies Room

that dress slit is in the major league

"Tucker, get up," I mutter and try to hide that I'm blushing.

He continues to bow down to me as if I'm a royalty. "Slay me!"

I tug on his arm and make him stand up. "People are staring. Let's just go inside, okay?"

"How could they not stare? That dress is mind-boggling," he laughs. "I'm having second thoughts about my sexuality."

I shake my head and turn around for the car. "I feel like a four-year old playing dress-up. I'm changing."

"Riley, you look great," he promises. "Classy, yet sassy."

With our arms linked, we walk down the beach to our seats for the wedding. Tucker stops to talk to all of their friends. I feel a little awkward, not recognizing half of the people.

After hours of me sitting in silence while Tucker talks on and on, the ceremony begins. Ari stands at the alter, holding his hands nervously. The flower girl walks down the isle, throwing petals on the sand. She trips and falls on her face. Crying and screaming, the flower girl runs to her mom and doesn't finish.

They carry on without her.

The bridesmaid and groomsmen walk down the isle next. Jedi walks down the isle with Lainey's best friend. My heart beats faster when Asher appears with one of Ari's sisters. He smiles at Ari while walking down the isle, glancing in the crowd and waving to some friends.

His eyes lock with mine for a split second before he looks away entirely.

"Yikes," Tucker comments briefly, laughing to himself.

I elbow him and turn my head to see Lainey walking in. She wears a traditional wedding dress, which sort of surprised me. I expected something completely different, but it seems like a plain, average dress.

Once she makes it to the alter, Ari takes her hand and gives her a side hug. We take our seats and I watch the ceremony, or at least attempt to watch it.

Tucker keeps nudging me to play chopsticks with him rather than paying attention. I mouth, "no." He ignores it and keeps trying to get me to play dumb games with him instead of paying attention.

This goes on the whole ceremony.

"You may now kiss the bride."

Lainey and Ari share a pretty heated kiss as the crowd applauds. They walk down the isle looking happier than ever, smiling and holding onto each other's hands.

Afterwards, we precede to the reception. Tucker keeps talking about how wasted he plans to get, but I remind him that tonight is too big of a night for him to mess it up that way.

The reception is held in a tent on the beach. Our table is seated in the back corner of the tent, which I think was done of purpose. Tucker continuously attempts switching our name tags with other people, but everyone refuses. So, we're stuck at the table with the five year-olds.

"A freaking kiddie table?" Tucker whisper-screams. "I'm not going to get lucky tonight!"

I laugh and tell him to stay quiet. "Keep your head on straight, boy."

"I think your dress ripped," a little girl informs me, pointing at the slit.

I glance to Tucker before turning to the little girl. "No, sweetie, it was made like this."

She gives me a disgusted look and shoves a chicken nugget in her mouth without saying anything else.

"I love children," I say and take a sip of the sprite filled cocktails glasses at our table.