Ch. 5 - Pity Cake

I've never been more nervous than I am on this Monday morning. I might see Asher at school, and I haven't seen him since the party. And since the text.

Oh, the text. The text that Sam, Zander, and I spent trying to figure out all night. Zander had some opinions, though Sam dismissed them all. I was happy for that, seeing he kept suggesting that Asher is just using me.

Sam told me that it's because when we kissed on the kiss cam he realized I was his one true love.

I think that's totally more likely.

"Homecoming is this weekend and you don't have a date," Sam sums up my sad life at the moment.

"I'd have a date if Zander could make any guy friends," I mutter.

Zander holds his hand to his heart. "I don't appreciate the attacks on my social life, Riley."

"Do you think Asher would ask you?" she asks as we stop at Zander's locker.

"There's no way. Asher Westfield has never gone to a school dance before. Everyone knows that."

She nods. "What about Dexter?"

I laugh. "The day when Dexter Reed asks me to a dance will be the same day Zander becomes cool."

"I am cool!" Zander defends.

I pat his back. "Whatever you say, buddy."

"Riley, quit harassing my boyfriend! I don't want to go to the dance without you. Isn't there anyone who would ask you?"

"Maybe I could talk to one of Wren's friends."

"Ew." Sam cringes.

"Yeah, I'm not going to ask one of his friends," I decide. "I should just have Walter take me."

"Walter? Your cousin?"

"Second cousin," I correct.

"Doesn't make it any better, Riles."

I sigh and lean against a locker. "I'll just make myself a pity cake for Saturday and everything will be better."

Zander shuts his locker and wraps his arm around Sam's shoulder. "On the bright side, Asher Westfield is walking this way."

My eyes widen as I spin around to see Asher casually heading towards me. He gives me a head nod to say hello.

"Hi," I say nervously.

"Hello. Hey. Hi." He grins at his own teasing. "How are you?"

I glance at my friends who are walking down the hallway in the opposite direction as us. Real kind, guys. Leave me with the wolf.

"I'm doing okay. You?"

"Good. Except there's this girl that I can't stop thinking about. She's really cute, but I don't think she's really into me."

"Oh." I sigh. Of course he's into someone else. "She sounds stupid."

"I wouldn't say that," he says with an amused smile.

I squint my eyes as I piece together the whole situation. Blushing when I realize he meant me, I say, "smooth."

"Am I right in assuming you're not really into me?" he asks, leaning against the locker one down from me.

"Aha," I fake laugh.

"Mysterious. I like it." He bites his lip as he hesitates on his next words. "Are you going to the dance?"

"No," I answer immediately. "Why'd you ask?"

If Asher Westfield is asking me to homecoming, I'd pass out right here on the disgusting high school floor.