Ch. 22 - Our Thing

can someone please explain to me the immense hatred towards Asher thanks

"Did you know that I can put my right leg behind my head?" Georgia says to Dexter and me in the middle of class.

"Prove it," I challenge jokingly, not thinking she'd actually do it nor caring.

So, Georgia then sits on the floor of the classroom and attempts putting her right leg over her head. The whole class has now turned to watch her, even my teacher looked up from his desk to watch.

"Oh, goodness," she whispers to herself. "I-I think it's stuck."

I cover my mouth with my hand, trying to hide my smile. This is too good! Dexter sits without any emotion, but I know he has to find this hilarious.

"Mr. Castaway," my principal starts as she walks into the classroom, "I was wondering if you got the email about the-"

She stops, stopping immediately once she sees Georgia on the floor.

"Do I even dare to ask?"

Mr. Castaway stands up from his desk and struggles to form his words. "I-I-she...I didn't...I'll pack my desk now, ma'am."

My principal nods. "Very well."

"What? You can't just fire him!" I exasperate and jump up from my seat.

She raises a quizzical eyebrow, her stern face intimating me. "Excuse me?"

I sit back in my seat and keep my head down. "Never mind."

"Mr. Castaway, I'll see you in my office at the end of the day. Don't expect this to go well." She leaves the classroom with a slam of the door.

"This isn't fair!" Clara Woods cries out. "You totally don't deserve to get fired, Mr. C."

The classroom choruses with "yeah" and "totally!"

"It's honestly all Georgia's fault," I add.

"You're the one who told me to prove it!" she cries in her annoyingly high pitched voice.

"I didn't actually want you to!" I defend.

"I know it isn't fair, but I should've stopped it anyway. I'm the adult and the teacher. I wasn't being any of those things."

I bite my lip. "We won't let them fire you! We'll protest!"

"Riley, that's very sweet, but they'll just suspend you."

"They can't suspend all thirty of us," Dexter says, surprising most of the class.

I smile, feeling pumped up. "And it won't be just us. Your other classes will join us because we all love you!"

"You're teaching us about the American Revolution," Georgia says. "So, we're going to revolt to keep you here!"

"Give me Mr. Castaway or give me an F!" Franklin calls out.

We all break out in cheers of excitement and endearment. My teacher just laughs, obviously not thinking we're actually going to revolt. Little does he know...

At lunch, the whole first period of American History with Mr. Castaway sits together. We discuss game plans and the courses of action we need to take. The injustice must end!

"Hey, Riley," Asher says and joins us at the lunch table.

I glance at him before turning back to Franklin. He nudges me with his elbow.

"Hi. Hey. Hello." He nudges me again. "Hi."

"What do you want, Westfield?" I ask in a bored tone.