Ch. 14 - Ultimate Cook Book

"I'm just going to be straight forward with you on this because I know part of building our relationship is trust." I take a deep breath. "Your best friend is an asshole."

Asher raises his eyebrows. "Oh?"

"Yes, oh. He called me and my friends lame and my brother a man-whore. I'm not one to tattle on people, but Tucker Phillips is a jerk."

It took a lot of effort to make this tough decision of telling Asher how I feel. The best way was to tell him simply and plainly, as I just did.

Asher seems almost amused by this, though I can assure you there is nothing amusing about this situation. I hate his best friend; this could change everything.

"Tucker is wired to be a complete jackass, so don't listen to anything he says. You and your friends are some of the coolest people I've ever met," he says and shakes my shoulders with his large hands. "Wren.. Wren is man-whorish, but Tucker has no right in calling it out."

I laugh, falling into his chest for a hug. "Don't tell him I told you. He'll just hate me more."

"Ah, I bet he doesn't hate you. How can he? He's my best friend and you make me happy. He should be happy."

I stand on my tiptoes to kiss him quickly. "You make me happy too."

"Cute."

I roll my eyes as Wren strolls into my room. "What do you want?"

Taking a deep breath, he rambles, "Sara is coming over dinner and I want to impress her, so I need you to make us dinner and I'll say that I made it and then she'll be impressed and hopefully think of me as more than just a jock."

I can't help but smile. "I thought Sara wasn't your type."

"And I thought you weren't into players, but I guess we were both wrong!"

"Wren," I hiss, giving an apologetic look to Asher.

Wren holds his hands up in defense. "Hey, sis, I was just joking around. I love Westfield."

"Love you too," Asher says with a nod.

"Don't talk to me," Wren mutters. "Come on, Riley, I need you to make the dinner pronto. Your little boyfriend can help."

"Little? He could crush you like a bug," I say.

It's true. Asher towers over Wren as we walk downstairs to the kitchen.

I decide it is best to help Wren. He really seems to like Sara, which is a first. Maybe my man-whore of a brother is actually a softie.

"What do you want for dinner?" I ask, pulling out different pots and pans to make a concoction of things.

"Food."

After his highly intellectual answer, he is done with the talking and leaves the kitchen.

I roll my eyes throw my head on the counter. Asher stands behind me and rubs my shoulders.

"I'm sorry about this," I say and tilt my head to look at him. "Becoming an undercover chef was not the ideal night I planned."

He laughs and sits next to me at the counter. "It'll be fun. I'm a horrible cook, so you'll have to help me with this."

"What do you want for dinner?" I ask, needing a better answer than what Wren gave me.

"Food," he jokes, laughing at his own, rude answer.

"Not funny. Seriously, give me some options!" I demand and shove his shoulder.

"I'm not the chef here. The only food I know how to make is grilled cheese, and even that doesn't work out."