Ch. 19 - Little Tattling Butthead

"You can't just invite my ex-boyfriend and his father over for dinner!" I exclaim, chasing my dad into my parents' bathroom.

He sighs. "Look, Riles, I made plans with Mr. Westfield before you two went on a break. It would be rude to cancel."

"Actually," I interject, "it wouldn't be! Asher dumped me, dad. That was rude! I'm heartbroken! Don't you care about your heartbroken daughter?"

"Yes, Riley. I love you and hate Asher for breaking your heart." He looks around the bathroom as if to make sure the coast is clear. "I'm going to be honest with you here. Promise not to tell anyone?"

"Promise," I say and lock pinkies with my father.

"Alright. I want to be friends with Asher's father because.." He looks around once more. "Because I want to go on his yacht."

I cross my arms over my chest. "Are you kidding me?"

"A yacht, Riley! I've never been on a yacht before!"

"Dad," I complain, rubbing my temples. "You care about a yacht more than me?"

He hesitates for much too long. "Of course not, honey!"

I roll my eyes. "I'm telling mom."

"You pinky promised!"

"I had my fingers crossed!" I say and stick out my tongue, rushing downstairs to find my mom. "Mom, dad just told me that-"

I stop mid-sentence when I realize my mom is not in the kitchen. Instead of finding my mother at the counter, I find Sara on the counter with my brother. Yep, full-on making out.

"Oh, we eat there!" I scream and cover my eyes with my hands.

Wren pushes Sara to the ground in a panic. "Riley, what the hell are you doing?"

"Me? I was innocently finding my mother to tell her that my father loves a boat more than me!" I yell back. "I would ask you the same thing, but quite frankly I'm too scarred!"

He sighs and hops off the counter to help Sara off the ground. "You should've knocked."

"You're in the kitchen! There aren't any doors in the kitchen!"

"What are you two fighting about?" my mom asks, walking into the kitchen and grabbing a Popsicle from the freezer.

I cross my arms over my chest. Deciding to let this one go, I sigh, "dad loves a boat more than me."

"That is not true!" my dad yells from upstairs.

My mom looks overwhelmed and highly confused. "I'm sorry..what?"

"Dad invited Asher and his father for dinner! You know why? Because he wants to go on a yacht."

"They have a yacht?" my mom asks, suddenly interested. "We could go on it?"

I groan. "Mother!"

Wren laughs, his arm over Sara's shoulders. "Aw, poor Riley. Not even as worthy as a boat."

I squint my eyes, glaring at my idiotic brother. "Mom, Wren and Sara were getting it on in our kitchen."

My mom gasps. "In my kitchen?"

"You little tattling butthead!" Wren screams and pushes me to the ground with a swift push.

I'm quick to my feet, retaliating by jumping on his back and biting his ear. It's not a good day to mess with me.

"Get off me!" he begs for mercy. "Mom! Do something!"

"I'd rather not," my mom says casually and leaves the kitchen.