Ch. 17 - One Of Those Days

"Guess who make you chicken soup!"

"I'm guessing it's my sister who is going to be late for school!"

"Chill out," I mutter. "Mom told me to bring you your soup while I wait for Zander."

"Oh, I thought you were trying to ditch school."

"Me? Ditch? School?" I fake laugh, holding a hand to my chest. "I almost sort of have a perfect attendance."

Wren rolls his eyes and takes the tray with his soup and juice box. "You somehow managed to trick mom into thinking you had chicken pox. You're an expert at faking it."

"Maybe you're tricking all of us with your heart condition."

"Yep. You've figured it out, Nancy Drew!"

"I wink and point my finger towards him. The doorbell rings, and that's my cue to leave. I punch Wren's shoulder before leaving his room and grabbing my backpack for school.

"How is he?" Zander asks, trying to peer inside my house.

I close the door and push him forward to keep him from running upstairs to Wren's room and never leaving. "Don't worry. Your leader is fine."

Sam sits in the passenger's seat with her feet up on the dashboard, her eyes closed. I knock on her window before jumping in the back to scare her. She whacks her hand behind her seat to try to hit me.

"Watch it, Riles," Zander warns. "It's one of those days."

I suck in a breath. "Yikes."

Sam is a firecracker. And on these days, she's a flaming firecracker. What causes these days? Honestly, it could be something as simple as there not being milk for her cereal. If something goes wrong, she blames everyone and everything and it's best if you just avoid her.

"Shut up! I'm not in a bad mood!" she screams.

Zander and I just share a look, both knowing that teasing her will only make her angrier.

"You look pretty today," I compliment.

"Bitch, I look pretty everyday."

I nod and hold back a laugh. "My bad."

We keep quiet the whole drive I school, not wanting to push Sam anymore. Once we park, she is the first one out of the car and is already in the school before I have the chance to get my backpack out of the car.

"What was it this time?" I ask Zander as we walk into school together.

"I..I kind of told her..that I'm.."

"You're..?"

He sighs, pulling his backpack strap up more on his shoulder. "I told her I was team Stelena!"

I press my fingers into both of my tempted, beyond shocked. "How could you be so stupid?"

"I-I just wasn't thinking!"

"Clearly. This is bad, really bad. I'm thinking we give her this whole week off," I decide.

We stop at his locker, the inside decorated with pictures of the three of us. His locker is organized perfectly, due to the amount of organizing boxes and shelves his mother bought him.

Zander rests his head on the door of his locker. "A whole week?"

"You should've thought about it before you said that. This is on you, Zander."

He hangs his head and shuts his locker. Moping all the way back to my locker, Zander tries to defend why he said it in the first place. I just shake my head.