Ch. 27 - Rebel With a Cause

Tuesday af

So, I kind of got suspended.

But really, I'm not upset at all. Our protest may have gotten many others suspended, but Mr. Castaway got his job back! It wasn't up to the principal; the administration office decided he should stay. I knew we'd be able to pull it off.

My mom was so proud that I started this protest and helped Mr. Castaway keep his job that I'm not even grounded. Plus, I'm off Wren duty now.

Things are really looking up.

"Hello, fellow rebels!" Georgia speaks to the small crowd of our history class. "We are gathered here today to celebrate victory! So, let's party!"

Georgia's parents were also inspired by her revolutionary ways and agreed to let her host a party to celebrate. On a Tuesday. When we should be in school. But we're all suspended. So instead we're at this party. Which her parents are fine with.

Don't question the logic.

I take a sip of my rootbeer and sit at a table next to Dexter and some other kids who are playing cards. "Dexter Reed at a party. Who knew this day would come?"

"I've been to parties," he says, holding his cards in one hand. "I just don't go to the same ones you do."

"Hm. Is there like a brand of parties you prefer?" I ask jokingly. "How is there a difference between the parties I go to versus the ones you go to?"

"Mine don't include jackasses."

I'm taken aback, shocked and slightly offended. "Oh?"

"Yeah," he mutters and sips from his cup.

"I'm getting this cold, hatred vibe from you," I muse and wave my hand around. "I don't like it."

He just shrugs and studies his cards. My phone buzzes, distracting me from pressing Dexter with more questions for a second.

From: Asher Westfield

how is my favorite rebel with a cause doing?

I smile stupidly and type my reply.

To: Asher Westfield

she's annoyed

"Have any sevens, Reed?"

"Go fish."

From: Asher Westfield

why?

"Dexter, do you have any threes?"

"Go fish," Dexter answers in a mumble.

To: Asher Westfield

there's this annoying ass boy who won't leave me alone. says he's in love with me.

"Jack, do you have any jacks?"

"Go fish, sucker."

From: Asher Westfield

hate when that happens. but he's cute though??

"Heather, do you have any aces?"

Heather sighs and hands Jack her ace.

To: Asher Westfield

eh

"Franklin, do you have any sevens?"

"Tartar sauce!" Franklin exclaims and throws his seven to Dexter.

From: Asher Westfield

OMG! Riley!!!!!!!!!!! Hi!!!!!!! Lmfao! Literally rotfl!!!!!