Ch. 15 - Birthday Boy

"Samantha, do not touch that."

Sam rolls her eyes. "I'll touch what I want to touch."

Wren slaps her hand away from the shoe box on the floor of his car. He looks at me for help. "Control your friend, Riley!"

"Sam, don't touch Wren's shoe box. It's full of x-rated magazines," I inform her, hiding my smile.

Wren glares at me. "You promised not to tell anyone!"

Sam and I both start giggling, which only ticks off Wren more.

"If you don't stop, I'll drop you off here and you can walk to school!" he threatens.

"Right, because we'd hate to walk an extra two feet to the school," I say and point to the building right at our left.

Wren pulls the car over to a curb. "Okay, smart-ass, get out."

I laugh, "are you being serious?"

"Yes. It's only an extra two feet. Get out of the car, Riles."

My jaw drops. "I lied! It's like a hundred feet which is too far!"

"Then quit making fun of me," he warns and puts the car in drive. "I swear, threatening to make you two exercise is the only way for you to do anything."

"Sorry, Wren. You're super cool and hot and totally not lame," Sam says in a sarcastic tone.

My brother just rolls his eyes and parks the car in the lot. "You can have your little boyfriend drive you to school from now on."

"He usually does," Sam assures, "but there was a chess tournament today."

Wren raises an eyebrow. "Does he realize we have a game tonight? Can't play if you miss school."

"It's not like he was going to play anyway," she mumbles and pulls her backpack out of the trunk.

"Actually, coach likes Harris. I think he might've played him tonight."

"We are talking about Zander, right?" she asks in disbelief. "You know, the awkward and clumsy boy who tripped over his own feet at your birthday party and fell into your cake?"

Wren laughs and closes his car door. "You should have more faith in the kid. He's a fast learner. Next year he could even be first string."

"I have to call him!" Sam says and pulls out her phone. "He won't believe me. You have to convince him to come to school."

I laugh, "while you two are doing that, I'm going to go find the birthday boy."

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever," Sam mutters with her phone ringing on speakerphone.

Rolling my eyes, I head into the school. Usually Asher and Tucker don't show up until almost two minutes before first period starts; however, today is his birthday and I want to decorate his locker before he gets to school. If by chance they come earlier and I haven't decorated his locker yet, I'd be crushed.

There's a small crowd of people by his locker already, and I push past them with a large bag of decorations. I pull out a roll of blue stringers and start taping them to the locker. Tapping on the happy birthday handmade birthday sign, I start to blow up the balloons.

As I'm blowing up the balloons, someone taps on my shoulder.

"What the hell are you doing?"

I glance to my left, smiling at Dexter. "I'm decorating my boyfriend's locker! Want to help?"

"This is my locker," he says in a bored voice.

"But-"

"This is your boyfriend's locker." He points to a locker two down from the one I decorated. "Nice going."