Ch. 29 - Flaming Peacocks

"You're a couple?" Sam asks, looking Asher and me up-and-down with judging eyes.

I nod and lift up our interlocked hands. "We are a couple."

"Again?" Zander questions, a raised eyebrow.

"Again," Asher confirms.

My friends stare us down for a few more seconds. I'm a bit surprised they aren't more happy for me. Sam was the one who got me thinking about getting back with Asher in the first place. I don't understand.

"I have to get to class," Sam says softly, checking her phone for the time. "See you guys at lunch."

Zander kisses her cheek before she starts down the hallway. He turns back to us with a grand, fake smile.

"What's up with her?" I ask.

He raises his eyebrows and looks behind him. "What? Sam? She's fine! Does she not seem fine?"

"She doesn't," I say. "Neither do you."

He shrugs. "Don't know what you're talking about, Riles. On another note, does this mean Asher is going to do secret Santa with us this year?"

"Oh!" I gasp. "I totally forgot about that! Yes." I turn to Asher and press my hand to his chest. "Well, unless you don't want to."

"Uh, no, I don't mind. I haven't done secret Santa since I was in the second grade. And even then I just got Tucker a booger or something."

"Maybe it's not such a good idea for Asher to play," Zander jokes.

Asher laughs. "No, no. I assure no boogers this year. Who else plays?"

"Well, it's usually Sam, Riley, Wren, and myself. I think Sara agreed to do it this year. Uh, Riley, what did Dexter say?"

I bite my lip, shrugging. "He didn't want to."

"Who didn't want to what?" Tucker asks as he approaches the group, throwing his arms over Asher and my shoulders.

"Dexter Reed didn't want to play secret Santa with us," Zander answers.

Tucker nods, his eyes on mine. "Oh. Can I play?"

"No," Zander decides simply.

I widen my eyes at his rudeness. "Zander!"

"I don't like him," he whispers to me.

"I can hear you, dimwit," Tucker mutters in annoyance. "I want to play!"

"Look, Zander, I don't like Tucker much myself, but he's not that bad. I think it's fine for him to play."

Zander makes a disturbed face. "Riley, I'm already taking a gamble by letting Mr. Boogers play! I do not want Mr. I-do-drugs-and-get-suspended-from-school-every-week to play!"

Tucker lunges towards Zander, who squeals and hides behind me.

"In the spirit of Christmas, we will allow Tucker to play in this year's secret Santa," I announce formally.

"Great idea! I love Tucker!" Zander says with a fake smile, moving out of hiding.

Tucker nods. "That's what I thought, bitch."

"Okay, we'll pick the names during lunch," I inform. "Wren likes to specify the rules and whatnot, but it takes his like two hours. I usually tune him out. Basically, just know that you can't tell anyone because in the end we'll all try to guess who the other people's secret Santas are. The winner gets a cash prize from the other players."

"I'm taking you all down, losers."

~~

In history, Dexter is fast asleep on his desk. I'd wake him, but that might make him even more angrier with me than before. If he wants me to leave him alone, I'll leave him alone.