Ch. 43 - Tragedy and Prom

Prom. Four letters. Four dress stores. Four-hundred different dresses. Four-thousand "promposals" happening as you walk through the hallways. Four-million worries about who will be your date.

Zander already asked Sam who is flying in for the occasion. I haven't seen her since spring break, which was possibly the best week of my life, next to the week I met Ty Pennington from Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. Zander, Sam, and I hung out everyday, doing the things we used to do as if she hadn't been gone for so many months. It was a dream.

Plus, Tucker finally agreed to go on a date with Beau their last night here. I'm assuming it went well since Tucker rapped along to Nicki Minaj's Super Bass the whole ride home from the airport... six times.

Normally, I wouldn't have allowed that behavior, but he just seemed so happy. I'm happy my best friends are happy. I guess that can outweigh my unhappiness for the time being.

"Franklin!" Georgia gasps. "Of course I'll go to prom with you!"

I sigh heavily and sit down in my history seat, watching as Georgia sniffs the bouquet of roses from Franklin. Dexter walks into the classroom and eyes Georgia and Franklin suspiciously.

"Hey," he says to me and takes his seat.

"Hey," I respond and scribble on the top of my notebook.

"Hey!" Georgia adds to the conversation. "Guess who just got asked to prom!"

"That's a hard one," I say sarcastically. "Oh my gosh.. Did someone ask Victoria?"

Georgia rolls her eyes and shoves the bouquet of roses in my face. "No, silly! Me! Franklin just asked me!"

"I didn't notice," I joke. "Is that what you two were doing only two feet away from me?"

"Oh, so this all just a joke to you!" she exclaims. "No wonder you haven't gotten asked!"

I nod. "That's it. My sarcastically unfunny jokes have scared away the entire spectrum of the male population."

"It's a shame you're not going," she says. "It could've been really fun. We could've gone in the same group!"

"I never said I wasn't going," I say, glancing at Dexter momentarily.

He catches the look, his eyebrows bunched together in confusion.

"What? Who's asking you?" she asks excitedly.

"Well," I pause, "no one. I might go alone."

"That's tragic," she comments briefly before spinning around in her seat to talk to Franklin about her dress color.

I smile to myself and look to Dexter who has a small smile on his face as well. "I love Georgia."

"Me too. We should go there over the summer," he says simply.

"Hey! That was a good one," I say with a laugh. "My influence on you is quite evident, don't you think?"

"Sure," he agrees.

I nod and tap my fingers against my desk. "So, are you taking anyone to the dance?"

He looks at me before rolling his eyes. "I don't do dances."