Ch. 20 - You Can't Sit With Us

yo if you weren't able to see the last chapter or chapter 18 or whatever other chapter try logging out and logging back in. thanks to @thesimpletruth you rock man

Ever since my fight with Zander and Sam, I have had to find new spots for lunch each day. The first time I sat with my friend Rachel. My issue was that Tucker has taken a strong liking into Rachel and was there flirting the whole time.

So, I moved. Each table seems to have a problem: jealous girls, vegans who threw away my turkey sandwich, more jealous girls. I even sat with Wren's friends, only I didn't enjoy the sex talks. I've sat at four different tables this week and I'm hoping for the final pick to be just right.

"Dexter," I say and hold the 'er' for emphasis. "How's it crackin'?"

He glances at me, his sandwich halfway in his mouth. Instead of saying something, he shakes his head.

"So," I start and look at the other people at the table, "I'm Riley. What are your names?"

The small group of four people look at me like I'm insane. I can see why Dexter sits with this crowd. They all have dark clothes on and piercings. I was always intimidated by this table, but since Dexter is a little muffin then these people must be too!

"I'm Monica," one girl speaks with no emotion. "This is you." She crushes a can of soda.

I look from the can and back to Monica in fear. "Oh, dear. She seems violent."

No one speaks.

I assume this is why Dexter sits here everyday, since he's not much of a talker himself. Monica watches me while I eat, her eye twitching every once in awhile.

"Uh," I try to think of something to start up a conversation, "do you guys say cara-mel or car-mel?"

Dexter sighs heavily, his head in his hands. "What the hell are you doing?"

"I'm getting to know the people at my new lunch table."

"You can't sit with us," Terry from my elementary school says flatly.

I laugh, putting my hands up in mock defense. "Okay then, Gretchen Weiners."

The four of them don't say anything, not one cracking a smile. I thought that was pretty funny, but what can you do?

"Riley," Sam taps on my shoulder, "I need to talk to you."

"I'm busy talking to my new friends," I say and gesture around the table.

"Oh, no," Terry interjects, "please go."

I open my mouth in offense. "To think, I considered you one of my closest friends! How could you do this, Terry?"

Sam smiles, shaking my shoulder. "Come on, Riles! Leave them alone!"

I sigh and stand up from the table. "I'll see you tomorrow, Dex. Bye, Terry and Monica. And.." I look at the last boy who didn't say a word. "What's your name?"

"I eat butterflies for fun."

My eyes widen, and I force a smile. "Good for you." I grab Sam's hand and nearly sprint for my old lunch table.

"Hey, if it isn't the Riley Green," Zander says enthusiastically.

"Hi." I sit down at my regular spot.

"How are you doing with this whole breakup?" Sam asks, getting straight to the point.

I sigh, "fine. You know what my dad did on Saturday? Yeah, he invited Asher and his dad over for dinner."