Ch. 10 - Girl Stuff

I casted AnnaSophia Robb as Riley!

"You just ran?"

Panting, I nod. "Yes. And now I'm here." I look around her room. "Hi, Zander."

"Sup," he says, his eyes glued to the computer screen.

"Come here and tell me why you ran?" Sam orders and sits down on her bed.

I join her and put my head in my hands. "I wish I could tell you, but I don't even know."

And I don't. I like Asher. I thought I wanted to be his girlfriend. So why'd I run?

"I think I'm just...scared."

She places a hand on my back for support. Sam has a natural mother instinct, always there to comfort.

"What're you scared of?"

"I've never been in a serious relationship before and-"

Zander coughs abruptly. "Excuse me?"

"Now is not the time, Zand. Continue, Riles."

I nod, biting back a smile from Zander's comment. "He asked me to be his girlfriend. Girlfriend! Has Asher ever had a girlfriend? And maybe Wren was right in saying that-"

"Wren has never been right."

"That's a lie!" Zander defends his hero, throwing a pen at Sam.

I fall back onto the bed and look up at her painted ceiling. "It's just too easy."

"What do you mean?"

"Mysteriously hot guys like Asher are supposed to be hard to get. They're not supposed to want a girlfriend. I assumed he'd be afraid of commitment. I mean, that's just their stereotype."

"Well," Sam sighs, "I don't think you should've stereotyped him like that, Riley. You don't want him thinking you're a dumb blonde, do you?"

"That's different," I mumble.

"Life isn't a teen rom-com, Ry."

"But I want it to be," I whine and kick my feet. "Should I call him?"

"No, email him," Zander replies sassily.

I feel a little guilty for just leaving Asher on the pier like that. He probably won't even want to be my boyfriend after that. Though hopefully he'll understand.

I panicked, that's all.

"Voice mail," I sigh and put down my phone. "It's official! I screwed over my love life!"

"I mean, technically you didn't even have one."

Sam's head slowly turns towards Zander, a glare on her face. "Honey..."

"Yeah?"

"Don't talk," she orders.

He gives a thumbs up, smiling at me sheepishly.

My phone rings, and I pounce to grab that thing like my life depended on it- and it basically did. "Hello?!"

"Hey, Riles!"

"Dammit, Wren," I mutter in annoyance. "What do you want?"

"Oh. That's not the warm welcome I was hoping for. But nonetheless, there is a boy in our kitchen and apparently he was on a date with you, but then you ran away. Nice move."

I groan, slapping my hand against my forehead. "Shut up! Don't let him leave!"

"Oh, you won't have to worry about that. Mom is having a great convo with him now about you." The phone muffles a bit. "Yep, she's onto the story of when you got your period."