Ch. 30 - Secret Santa

Today is the day of our exchange of secret Santa gifts. Wren and I go all out, decorating our house to an extreme level. My parents are obviously just as into it.

With my dad working on lights and garland strung on the stairwell, my mom in the kitchen making cookies, and Wren and I decorating the Christmas tree, we're seconds away from a winter wonderland.

"Wren, the fake snow!" I gasp. "We forgot the fake snow!"

"Oh, son of a nutcracker!" Wren hisses and drops the tinsel in his hand. "Text Zander to go get some at the store and bring it before the other guests arrive."

I nod and athletically jump over the box of Christmas or sameness to grab my phone on the couch. Quickly texting Zander, I hit send and let out a nervous breath.

"Don't worry, Riles," Wren relaxes me. "Zander can do this."

"It's Zander," I remind.

Wren's smile falters for a second. "No, no. The kid can handle this. I believe in him."

"But you also believe in Santa Claus."

He sticks his tongue out. "Shut up. Now, help me get the star on the top."

I walk over and take the star out of my brother's hand. He grabs my waist and lifts me up just high enough for me to place the star at the top of the tree. Unable to hold me any longer, he drops me to the ground.

"Ouch."

"You're getting too heavy," he says.

"Maybe you're just getting weak."

His eyes widen and he flexes his arms in my face. "Do they look small?"

I pat his arm instead of answering, leaving him in the unknown. It's one of the beauties of having a body-conscious older brother.

"Riley!" he cries. "Oh my gosh!"

He then drops down and starts doing push-ups excessively.

"Riley, help me in the kitchen!" my mom calls.

I skip into the kitchen, landing next to my mom. "Riley Green at your service! What can I assist you with?"

"Frost the Christmas tree cookies," she advises. "Do not lick the knife and put it back in the container."

I hold up my hands innocently. "I'd never do such a thing." When she's not looking, I stick my pointer finger in the frosting and lick it off.

"I saw that." My dad takes the frosting container away from me as he moves to stand next to my mom. "No more frosting for you."

I shrug. "Less work for me."

"So," my mom says as she frosts a cookie, "how is Sam doing?"

"Okay," I answer. "I haven't really talked to her in awhile."

"Well, I can imagine she'd want some time alone after everything that's happening," my dad says.

I raise my eyebrows. "What's happening?"

They look at each other, worried faces and all. My parents put down the cookies in mid-frost and put on their sorrow faces. "Oh, honey."

"What's going on? Is Sam okay?"

"Yes! Do not worry. It's nothing like that," my mom assures.

"Well, what is it then?" I ask, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Mr. Jones got a new job in Nebraska, and the whole family is moving there," my dad explains.

My face drops. Sam is moving. My best friend is moving to Nebraska. Nebraska! And she didn't even tell me!