Ch. 42 - So Great

About two months later, everything was back to normal. Well, as normal as it could be after all that has happened. Wren and Sara are still as cute as can be, even with the impending doom of college coming their way. Zander, Tucker, and I have been getting a lot closer, especially now that Tucker has come out to the whole school and all his friends and family.

As for my love life, it's back to the same old nothing as it was before I kissed Asher Westfield on that dumb kiss cam. Asher has been taking the breakup quite well, his stream of girls as steady as ever. Cue the eye roll.

I was in love with him, yes. I'm not proud of being in love with him, but it happened. All I've been trying to do these past months is to hate him. It's just not as easy as it seems.

Plus, there's Dexter. There hasn't been any advancements in whatever we have together, but that's probably due to the fact I can't seem to just stop thinking about Asher at all. It's only fair to Dexter if I can love him completely, no distractions. I can't risk hurting him, not when I care so much about him.

Sam is coming home today for spring break. Praise Jesus. As much as I love Tucker and Zander, I need my best friend home.

I can barely hold in my excitement by the end of the school day, knowing Zander and I will be on our way to pick up Sam from the airport as soon as school ends. I sit in my last class with my glued to the clock the whole time.

As soon as the bell rings, I jump out of my seat and run to my locker to grab my things. Zander comes running down the hallway in mere seconds, his smile huge.

"Can you hurry up?" he asks loudly. "The bell rang a whole thirty-seconds ago, Riley! Move, move, move!"

"I'm moving!" I laugh and dump the books I need into my backpack before shutting the locker and running with Zander down the hallway.

Running in the hallway isn't allowed. I never really understood why. If I need to get somewhere fast, I need to run. It seems simple and I don't get why the school feels the need to hold me down like that.

I never understood until five seconds ago when I collided into a boy and hit my face so hard I was sure I died.

"Riley, now is not the time!" Zander mutters as I lie on the ground in searing pain, pulling on my arm to lift me up from the ground.

I groan in pain and try to stand up on my own. Looking to see who the innocent receiver of Riley's-magnificent-run-in-the-hallway-turns-deadly, I swear a thousand different times in my head.

"You okay?"

Trying to stay as cool as possible in front of the boy who broke my heart, I give him a thumbs up. "I'm great!" I say enthusiastically. "So great, actually. I'm doing so great. Aren't we doing great, Z? So great."

Asher nods and bends down to rub his knee that I most likely injured. "That's great." He glances over to Zander. "Hey, Zander."

Zander just continues to tug on my arm, making no attempt to hide his obvious hatred of Asher.

"We have to go," I say and start walking with Zander.

"Have a nice spring break!" he calls while limping over to a group of kids. He has friends? Hm. Not used to that one.

I scoff at his attempted friendliness and start my rant as Zander and I walk to his car. "Have a nice spring break? Who the hell does he think he is? He can't just say that. And 'hey, Zander?' What was that? He can't just talk to you like you're his friend! Did you see how casual he acted? It's like we never even dated!"

"Actually, it's more like you two don't even know each other," Zander comments and unlocks his car. "It was like my conversations with my mom's pharmacist's neighbor's son."