Ch. 41 - Peace Out

"That's it. I'm flying home."

I smile and collapse into my bed. "I really need that to be true right now."

"I can't believe you kissed Dexter Reed!" she squeals. "Did you like it? Do you like him?"

"Asher and I have been broken up for a week, Sam," I remind with a heavy sigh. "I don't want Dexter to feel like he's just a rebound. He's my friend and I really care about him."

"Well, why did you kiss him then?"

"I didn't kiss him! He kissed me. And then I might've kissed him back," I mumble. "That's not the point! What do I do?"

"I'd be able to answer that if you told me whether you liked the kiss or not," she says pointedly.

I bite my tongue and think back on the kiss. My stomach churns as I just picture it. "I-I don't know why, but I sort of felt this weird tingly feeling all over my body."

Sam squeals. "Riley, you totally love him!"

"Sam," I whine, "I'm not in love with Dexter. Maybe I got that feeling because it was so weird to be kissing him. I don't know." I huff. "But I liked it."

"Oh, Riley, my dear," Sam laughs. "What'd you say after the kiss?"

I hesitate and cringe at my reaction, "what the hell just happened.."

She laughs, "you did not. How'd he respond?"

"He said-- this is a direct quote--," I pause for dramatic effect, "fuck."

"That's hot," Sam comments briefly. "Unless he said it all panicky? Oh no! How'd he say it?"

"I don't remember, Sam! It's all just a blur!" I exclaim. "I mean, I sort of just got out of the car and ran upstairs to call you. Bad move?"

"Bad move," she confirms.

I pout and move under the covers of my bed. "I don't know what to do. I don't want to hurt Dexter because I care about him and that kiss did mean something to me, but I just got out of a crappy relationship and I can't look like I just moved on-"

"Why not? Asher just moved on," Sam reminds. "You don't have to hide your feelings for Dexter because of the fear that some jerk will judge you."

I huff and pull the comforter over my head to hide myself from life. "Please come home."

"I'll be home for spring break," she reminds. "That's only in two months. Hold on, Riley. I'm getting a call from Zander. You know how he gets when I don't answer."

"It's okay," I sigh. "Take the call. I'd rather sit here under my covers and mourn alone. Goodbye."

"Bye. I'll call you back!" She hangs up.

Barely allowing me any time to mourn, there's a knock on my balcony door. I roll out of bed and open the door for Tucker.

"I told him I was gay," he says and walks passed me. "I told him I was gay and that I had feelings for him." He sits down on my floor and sprawls out his feet. "He started choking on the piece of wedding cake he was eating and they had to call an ambulance and everything."

I cover my mouth. "Oh my gosh.. Did you go to the hospital?"

"Am I at the hospital? No, bitch, I'm in your house!" he exclaims in frustration. "I was mortified."

"So," I pause, "do you think he took it well?"

"Cute," Tucker comments and sits up on my floor. "I almost killed Asher Westfield with my gayness."