Ch. 6 - Coprophobia

"That's right. I promised my mom I'd help clean the toilet. She doesn't like doing it alone because she's worried she'll fall in."

"In the toilet?" Asher asks with a raised eyebrow.

I nod with a fake look of sadness. "She's gone to so many therapy sessions for it."

He licks his lips, not seeming impressed with my story. "Listen, Riley, if it's because you don't want to go, you can just tell me."

"I want to!" I assure. "I do. It's just.."

Do I lose all street creds and just tell the boy that my parents won't let me go? Or do I continue this messed up excuse that I googled two minutes before our conversation started?

"Yo, Westfield! Get your ass over here so you can kiss mine!"

Did I say that out-loud? Wait, no. That came from behind me.

I hope.

Asher nods his head in the direction the voice came from. "I gotta go. I owe Craig Davis a favor and let's hope he doesn't actually want me to kiss his ass. Later, Riley."

He casually pats my arm as he walks past me. I sigh and watch him meet with a group of boys in my grade. Ugh, Craig Davis, taking my precious crush away from me.

"Guess what day it is!" Zander challenges, popping up next to me at my locker.

Out of nowhere, Sam appears and booms, "hump day!"

They give each other high-fives and then kisses because they just have to prove they're the cutest couple around. I'm more aware of the stares they attracted. However, everyone at the school should be used to it at this point. They do it every Wednesday.

"Except it's Tuesday," I point out, much to their disappointment.

Sam whacks Zander's hip. "You told me it was Wednesday!"

"I thought it was!"

"So, what'd you tell Asher?" Sam asks.

"That my mom is afraid of toilets."

Zander gasps. "Your mom has coprophobia? I do too!"

Sam opens her mouth before fully registering what he just said. When she does realize, she slowly turns her head to look at him. I give him a similar look of wariness.

"I lied, Zander." I pause and wait for his reaction. "She's not afraid of toilets."

"Neither am I," he says quickly, straightening his posture. He does that when he's lying.

"Anyways..." Sam says as she makes a face that Zander can't see. "I'm still on team sneak out of the house."

"I'm on team Edward." I smile innocently as Sam rolls her eyes.

"Well, you have a good time sitting at home while Zander and I are dancing and Asher Westfield is partying with some other blonde who he thinks is easy!"

I open my mouth in offense and shock. "You're the one who said that he was madly in love with me!"

"I lied."

I scoff, crossing my arms over my chest. "I'm not speaking to you."

"Fine!"

"Good!"

We stay in the same spot, neither of us daring to move. It's a typical thing we do after fighting. Whoever walks away first caves.

There's a long period of silence before Zander says, "if you guys were wondering, I'm on team Jacob."