Ch. 24 - Potato On the Couch

"Oh, shit, there's a karaoke machine!"

I stand up from the couch and hold my arms akimbo. "Uh, basement is off-limits. Go back upstairs."

I'm all alone in the basement. Sam and Zander left an hour ago, those punks. I'm just trying to watch Keeping Up With the Kardashians in peace when four kids come downstairs making a bunch of noise.

The group of seniors just giggle at my demand. Do they not realize how serious I am? I have a massive headache from the blaring music and I'm also going through an awkward breakup. Do not giggle at me right now.

Yes, I realize I have the looks of a complete push-over. And, yes, sometimes I am a complete push-over. But tonight, oh tonight, I am a force to be reckoned with.

"Excuse me." I tap on one of their shoulders. "Did you not hear me? The basement is off-limits."

"I heard you, dude. I simply chose not to listen."

I squint my eyes. "I don't think you want to mess with me right now, dude."

"You're like twelve, so..." He trails off, high-fiving one of his friends.

They then go on to playing with the karaoke machine as I just stand and watch. I want to slap all of them, but I just can't. Maybe I am a push-over.

Damn, I really thought I had the balls for this.

Sighing in annoyance from the singing kids and myself for being a wimp, I head upstairs to find Wren.

The house is practically shaking from the insane volume of the music. I wouldn't be surprised if the police showed up. I mean, honestly, there's no way Wren will be able to get away with this one.

The mess in the family room nearly gives me a heart attack. There is no way in hell I am going to be the one to clean this up!

"Wren," I scream and pull my brother off the dining room table, "don't you think this is a little out of control?"

"Chill out, baby sis," he says and squeezes my cheek.

With a twitch of my eye, I pick up a solo cup and a plate of chips, taking them to the trashcan.

"You would be the one cleaning at a party."

I turn my head to the side, rolling my eyes at Asher. "You would be the one creeping on your ex at her brother'a party."

He chuckles and leans against the counter. "Tucker didn't tell me where the party was when he forced me to come with."

"You love parties," I remind. "It's not like he'd have to force you."

"Ry, I've literally been a potato on the couch because I miss you so much."

I nod my head, hiding a smile. "Oh, how romantic. I'm now holding back all urges to kiss you."

He laughs, "I bet."

"Sarcasm," I clarify.

"Not stupid," he mimics.

"That's debatable." I jump up to sit on the counter. "You did break up with me after all."

"Ah, yes," he nods. "Be my girlfriend again?"

Crossing my arms over my chest, I give Asher the death stare. "Why don't you just give it up? Why are you so damn adamant on us getting back together?"

"I'm in love with you," he says bluntly.

I open my mouth, shocked by how simply he said it. "W-what?"

"I love you, Riley Green." He moves to stand in front of me, his hands taking mine. "I want this so badly."

Help.