Ch. 3 - Towel

"Riley, we're going to be late if you don't get out of the bathroom!" Wren yells, banging his fist against the bathroom door.

Excuse me, but I have a very cute boy to impress.

"I'm almost done!" I lie. I still had to apply my makeup, do my hair, make sure my makeup was applied correctly, check my hair, and decide on an outfit.

"I have to pee!" Wren whines, continuously banging his fist against the door.

"That's cool," I mumble and take my time getting ready.

Wren makes a list of reasons why he needs the bathroom more than me. Because I would obviously believe that if he didn't take a shower then he'd infect the whole school and then the whole school would infect the town and soon enough we'd have an epidemic.

I just pretend to be interested. I've known Wren a long time- shocker -and I've learned that he'll keep talking until he forgets what he wanted in the first place.

I finally finish and open the bathroom door. Wren stands for a bit, not quite sure what he was doing. As I expected.

"You can shower now so there won't be an epidemic," I say.

He nods and rushes into the bathroom. His hands flap around rapidly, his nose crinkling up in disgust. "What the hell, Riles? It smells like Hollister's mixed with Macy's perfume isle mixed with a little Strawberry Blast lip gloss in here!"

I shrug and skip downstairs as Wren swats the air. He's just being a drama queen.

"You look cute today, hon," my mom says. "Does this have anything to do with that boy?"

"A boy?" I gape and then start laughing obnoxiously hard. "What's a boy? Ew, boys! Cooties!" I glance down at my phone, luckily receiving a call from Sam. "I have to take this."

You know, I'm a pretty good liar if I do say so myself.

"Zander's sick today. Can you and Wren pick me up?"

"We're already running pretty late."

"Who needs first period?"

"Good point." I walk over to the bottom of the stairs and scream loudly.

The water running upstairs immediately stops. Wren rushes out of the bathroom. "What's wrong, Ry? You okay? What happened?" He reaches me at the bottom of the stairs and holds my shoulders.

"We have to pick up Sam," I say simply with a smile. "Now."

"I try to be the best big brother, but you make it so damn hard," he mutters and grabs his backpack from the floor.

"Bye, mom," I say and kiss her cheek. "Have fun watching Soap Operas!"

"I will! I heard a rumor that Jason night propose to Stacy!"

"Shut up!" Wren gasps. "But Richard is in love with her!"

This is what happens when Wren stays home with my mom for a week.

We go through the garage to get to his car. Yes, we still share a car. He's going to college next year- or at least we're hoping- and so the car will be all mine in no time.

I want to tell him that he's still in just a towel as we get into the car, but I think it'll be even better when he realizes. It's not until we're parking in front of Sam's driveway that he realizes it.

"I'm still in my towel, man!" Wren sighs in annoyance. "This sucks."

Oh, Wren, you're wise beyond your years.