Ch. 37 - You Have Shotgun on the Figuratively Heart Broken Train

"Riley, you had one job!"

I roll my eyes as my dad comes storming into the hospital room, my mom right behind him.

"How did this happen?" my mom asks, going over to my brother's bedside and touching his cheek. "What happened to his face?"

"He got in a stupid fight," I mutter. "Since he hadn't been taking his medication, it affected him more than usual. The doctor said he'll be fine though."

"Good," my mom says with a sigh of relief and hugs me tightly. "Did you come alone?"

"No. Zander came with in the ambulance. He's helping Sam parallel park right now," I explain.

My mom rubs my arm gently. "You seem upset. Wren is going to be fine, honey. You said it yourself."

"I know." I cross my arms over my chest and lean against the hospital wall. "I've just had a long night."

She nods and continues to give me a much-needed-side-hug. "Tell me about it. Your father was singing show tunes all throughout the restaurant! I was mortified!"

"Hey!" my dad interjects. "I got a standing ovation from the nice ladies in the back."

I smile softly. There's a knock on the door, and the doctor walks in.

"There's a few people waiting outside," he says with a smile. "Wren will probably be sleeping for the next hour or so. I'll have one of my nurses get you when he wakes up."

I nod and step out of the room with my parents. Not much to my surprise, Sam and Zander stand outside of the room with a bouquet of balloons from the party. Zander is holding the birthday cake as well.

"Goodbye, Sam," has been changed to "Get better, Wren."

Smiling, I hug my best friends. My dad takes the cake from Zander, sticking his finger on the side and licking off the frosting. With an annoyed sigh, my mom snatches the cake from him and mutters, "we had dessert at the restaurant."

"How is he?" Zander asks, peering behind my head to try to see in his room.

"He'll be okay," I assure.

Sam takes my hand in hers as we go to sit in the waiting-room. "How are you?"

I shrug and take a seat next to my mom.

"If I were you," Zander says while shoving a piece of cake in his mouth, "I'd be beyond depressed already."

"Zander," Sam whispers harshly.

He gives his girlfriend the puppy eyes, frosting on his chin. "What? I'm hungry."

"What do you have to be depressed about?" my mom asks, concerned and confused.

"A cheating and girl-using boyfriend," Zander answers, which earns him a whack on the back from Sam as he sits next to her.

My dad leans forward in his seat. "What did cake-boy just say?"

I run my hands down my face and let out a small groan. "It's not important right now."

"Wren is going to be fine, Riley," my mom days sternly. "Tell us what cake-boy is talking about."

"Cake-boy doesn't even know what he's talking about half the time he says things," I say, trying to avoid this conversation right now.

"Cake-boy has a name and he doesn't appreciate being referred to as that," Zander interrupts.

"Seriously, mom and dad," I pause, "it isn't a big deal."

My mom rolls her eyes, knowing too well I'm lying. "You know, if you don't tell us what happened, there's a good chance Asher Westfield will suddenly go missing."