Ch. 32 - Popped Balloon

"He kissed you?" Sam asks quietly as we wait in line at the hospital.

"And then told you he was gay?" Zander whisper-screams.

I place a finger over my lips. "Can you please keep your voice down, Zand? I don't want anyone else to know."

"Why not?"

"Because I don't want Asher to find out," I mumble.

"Shouldn't he know his best friend is gay?"

I cross my arms over my chest. "Well.. I just.. I'd feel more comfortable if Tucker kept his hidden love for my boyfriend.. you know.. hidden."

Sam raises an eyebrow, letting out a short laugh. "Oh my gosh, Riles. Are you threatened by Tucker?"

"No!" I argue. "Of course not! I just.. I'm not.. I'm not comfortable with it yet."

"Do you think Asher might be gay?"

"No," I snap. "Shut up."

Finally, it's our turn to check in at the front desk.

"Hi. We're here to visit Bethany Westfield," I say with a smile. "We're friends of her son."

The lady at the desk eyes me suspiciously. "You know the Westfield family?"

"Yes. Like I just said thirty seconds ago," I pause and hold in any anger, "we're friends of her son."

Hey, don't blame me. My boyfriend's best friend kissed me and then told me he's gay and then told me he's in love with my boyfriend! I'm not in the mood.

"Well, I'm sorry. Mrs. Westfield doesn't want any visitors unless accompanied by family." She flashes a fake smile. "Happy New Year."

I squint my eyes and slowly turn around to leave the desk. Sam and Zander offer smiles, but I just know this day is going to completely suck. Look at how it started.

"Just come visit her when Asher gets home," Sam suggests.

I shake my head. "No, no. I wanted to speak with her alone. If I don't do it, Tucker might be able to and he'll look like the better friend and.. I just can't have that!"

"Because you're threatened by him?" Zander asks with a cheeky smile.

I punch his shoulder roughly. "Shut up."

"Ms. Green, is that you?"

I raise my eyebrows, surprised to see Asher's butler. "Laurence! How are you?"

"Well, not too great given the circumstances. Are you here looking for Asher? You do know what happened, yes?"

"Yeah. Actually, I came to see Mrs. Westfield."

He raises his eyebrows in interest. "Oh? I'm not quite sure she wants any visitors.."

"Yeah, I know," I sigh. "I just wanted to talk to her alone to know what she's really thinking, I guess. What she did to Asher was horrible, and I want to be able to get an explanation for him. I know she won't explain anything to Ash, but I thought maybe I could give it a shot." I pause. "Actually, never mind. Hearing my plan out loud just sounds so stupid and-"

"Follow me," Laurence says with a small smile.

I'm a little shocked to say the least. I've only met Laurence once, and he seemed pretty loyal to Mrs. Westfield. Letting her son's girlfriend visit her in the hospital and interrogate her with questions doesn't seem ideal. Maybe he just got fed up with her as well.

"You have five minutes," Laurence says after opening the door for me. "I'll be right outside with your friends."

"Thank you."