14. Everyone Has Secrets

(Derek's P.O.V)

In the small amount of time that I'd known Lila and even the guys, a reaction this strong wasn't something I expected of them.

"–being friends with Smith here isn't just social suicide, it's like literally equal to death." Veronica didn't look so pretty to me in that moment as she trash talked Lila. "Stay away from this freak unless you wanna, like, end up dead, Derek. I'm saying this for your benefit."

I noted how everyone had gone quiet and Lila was still like a painting that could be breathed life into by a few good strokes of the painter. But until then, it was still life. I was more than a little puzzled to say the least.

Despite Veronica's starting trash-talk, it was easy to gauge that things went downhill when death was mentioned. Curiosity burned within me but I also knew that now wasn't the time to quench that thirst.

I watched as Warren stood up and always smiling Michael's look hardened. Nora bit her lip hard in nervous energy. I couldn't keep the frown from marring my features at how things were turning out to be. Still, I silently let things happen.

It seemed like every gaze was now fixed on Lila. On how she would respond, as if that would seal Veronica's fate. When Kitkat finally, calmly stood up, I kept my attention on the steel-eyed girl who refused to meet anyone's gaze. 

"Well then I guess you better not get on my bad side either, hmm? Wouldn't want you ending up dead." Her words were sharp, like a thorn. Something subtle and small hidden in the beauty that was Lila Smith. "Oh wait–"

Kitkat's eyes locked onto Veronica's dark ones and even I could sense the palpable tension radiating off of the mahogany haired girl. Yet, her eyes were something akin to a grey flecked with black stormy sky and steel so molten and sharp that it could probably cut. Veronica even stumbled back a step and into Rebecca.

I hadn't seen this side of her. But Lila's never been a fan of sowing expressions. It was not because she'd been drilled with that or she wants to act alone or remain in solitude. It was just because that's who she was and she found it too much work.

I'm surprised I even deduced all this about her in the over-two-week span of time we've spent in each other's company. But to justify myself, I have pretty much spent every waking moment - school or otherwise at home - trying to frustrate her and talking to her. It's easy to pick up on.

She was a different kind of reserved person.

But this harsher side of her that I was glimpsing right now told me there was more to Lila Smith than what I'd uncovered so far. It only attracted me even more. Like I was a blank paper and she was the pen I was waiting for to fill my empty life with her ink.

"–You already are." I only tuned back to hear the ends of Lila's three sentence response to the bitchy attitude of the redhead cheer captain. "Lookout, Bitch. It'll serve you good to do that. Trust me."

Again, it's not like I haven't heard Kitkat curse, but this time the word 'bitch' just rang true and harsh.

When Kitkat made her way out, right on cue as the bell ending lunch rang, it was as good as any movie scene. But I couldn't shake off the feeling that something was off.

I didn't follow her instantly, too captured in the silent stand-off my friends and Veronica were having. The cafeteria emptied out quickly and hushed words were exchanged but no one moved from our table's position.

My eyes flitted towards Veronica and she looked uneasy as well but she kept mum.

If I was to be getting any answers, this is my chance. Emotion overload lets some things slip sometimes.