46. Kiss It Better

(Lila's P.O.V)

The bouquet had a small card among the flowers with '12 Noon, Wildcat.' Written on it.

If there was ever a straightforward challenge, then this was it.

I'd ripped the flowers even though they'd been beautiful. I'd crushed them with all the anger I couldn't take out on Roy Gambino this afternoon.

Of course Diego heard of the altercation and called me up soon after.

"Get here at 10 AM sharp tomorrow and we'll discuss the finer details of our plan."

After talking over some more, I was left to my own devices.

Then not long after while I was sitting and mulling on my bed, Mom called me to check in and Dad sent a few dad jokes.

I smiled to myself, feeling my chest well with emotion at the positive changes they'd tried to adopt.

Grace had asked me about the gift Derek gave me and informed about how she'd called him up too but he'd been ten steps ahead of her.

We talked about random topics and then I replied to War when he texted me asking about the guy from today.

Me: An asshole I'll kill. Don't worry too much about him.

He didn't know I meant it literally, of course.

It would have been futile to say that anyway.

Because Warren Knight would worry if he wanted to and hound me if he deemed it necessary. War was much more protective in nature than Derek. He was like a big bear that had a righteous sense of living.

I'd rather he not use it right now though because in all those letters that Roy sent me, he didn't just remind me of what had transpired that day but threatened my friends at every step.

War and Nora and Michael and my sister....

And if it weren't for Diego, I'd have broken long back.

Even now Roy scared me, I won't lie. But I wasn't alone anymore.

Cameron's name flashed on my phone screen and I wondered why everyone was calling me today as if they knew it might be the last time they'd catch me.

Poetic.

"I was in the next town, I'm sorry, what happened?"

"It's fine and well, nothing really. We faced Roy and Tatiana. And he challenged me for a fight tomorrow."

"Great, exactly like we planned it."

I nodded even though he couldn't see me. "When will you be back?"

"Tonight. And I'll be right beside you, Wildcat so don't stress. I love you and we're finally going to do what we've wanted to." His imploring tone made my nerves settle.

He'd talked the same way when we lost Mel and he wouldn't let me go to Blue alone when Diego made contact.

So we'd gone together and there, he'd made sure it was all safe even though he'd been a boy a few months shy of legal.