32. Burning Up

(Derek's P.O.V)

Somehow, my eyes were again drawn to Kitkat's room and only met with disappointment.

I frowned, glancing again at the rapidly blowing up piece of news.

Since it was such a big deal, wouldn't she also know about it? And considering how much beef she and Victoria had, Mayor Welsh going down would be a reason for Lila to rejoice.

I couldn't shake off the uneasy feeling that something wasn't right.

Dialing up Kitkat's number, I waited as the rings went through.

Of course, my enigmatic neighbor didn't pick up.

I called her two more times only to have the same results. However in my last ditch effort, just as I was about to end the third call, she picked up.

"Fuck off, asshole." 

Beep!

I stood befuddled and more than a little concerned as she cursed me out and then promptly hung up. But what took up most of my attention was how her voice croaked over the phone and how she sounded extremely tired.

The hell?

I scowled at the blank screen of my phone and then leaned out of my window.

It'd probably irritate others and could wake up my family but....

Shouting it is

"Kitkat!"

"Lilaaa!"

"Hey, Smith!"

No response.

"Lila Smith, you better answer or I'll--"

Crash!

Alarmed and pressed up against my windowsill, I couldn't tamp down my growing worry. Something had just crashed in Kitkat's room and she still hadn't replied.

Alright, I'm done playing nice.

Steeling myself, I made my way out of room and and by the time I reached the key-hooks, I'd completely made up my mind.

Grabbing hold of the Smith's housekey and hurrying away, I thanked my lucky stars for the fact that I'd devised that plan to get Lila over to my place on the first day of school four months ago. I might've used it as an excuse but it had never slipped my mind that I had a perfectly fine key to her house sitting in the living room of my house.

It's just I never used it despite being tempted to at times.

I'm not really a stalker or something you know.

Staring into her window and watching her dance was a whole different thing, I swear.

She'll agree.

Yeah, probably not.

That seemed to be ages ago though. We'd come a long way; Kitkat and I.

Now making full use of the spare keys to the Smith household, I made my way inside the tastefully decorated house. Although it was my first time here and I was more than tempted to roam around and explore, I had more pressing matters to attend to.

I was sure Kitkat could somehow manage to hold her own against anyone but that didn't ease my galloping heart and the sinking feeling in my stomach. 

Was it an intruder or was it something else?

Anxiety gnawed at my skin and trepidation that felt unfamiliar tricked its way down my spine as I swiftly climbed the stairs to find Lila's room based on my knowledge of directions and the angles of her house.