02. They bet?

(Derek's P.O.V)

I haven't been more bored in my life and I'm about to be eighteen.

I sighed and banged my head against the new desk I had in my very new room in this very new house in this very boring new town of Ladenhill.

Seriously? Did we have to move here from Florida? To basically nowhere with a measly population of 2000 something? Okay, it's more like 3000 but whatever.

I groaned looking at the time, seeing that the day was still not over. The movers had done their job and the house was set properly.

I needed a smoke.

I opened the drawer and took out a new box of cigarettes, picking one out before I kept it back in place.

Curse my Dad's interest in having a small-town life experience. I was never on board with this and neither was my sister Desiree. How was he even going to be a proper Real Estate Agent here when there were't even enough estates here probably?

My mom though.....she's a whole different story.

I slid the cigarette between my lips and took out the lighter from my back pocket. Flicking it open, I watched the blue flames licking at the empty space around it, dancing in a dangerous tango.

Narrowing my eyes, I expelled air from my lungs while tracing the artistic work on the silver lighter with my eyes.

I needed a break and a Kitkat. Since those weren't available, the cigarette would have to do.

It had barely been a day and I wanted to punch someone out of boredom. And yes, I'm pissed about more than just the move.

It wasn't like I'd left a close knit friend group back home but I did build my life there for 17 years and I didn't welcome this unprecedented move.

I was about to light up the death-cause between my lips and smoke but something made me stop and my bad day turned a tad bit interesting.

The sound of soft music playing on a speaker entered my ears and I blinked.

I dropped my lighter and plucked the unlit cig so it rested between my fingers instead of my lips.

Standing up from the old godforsaken swivel chair from back home, I approached the sound and found myself standing in front of my window.

Which, as cliche as it is, gives me a perfect view of the next door neighbor's room.

Which just so happens to be a girl's.

Is this some cliche book?

One who's probably a nerd judging from the books on the shelves.

But my thoughts quickly did a 180 when I saw that the girl was dancing to a Shawn Mendes song.

Don't ask how I know. The fact that I shared a room with my sister till seventh grade and that she has a habit of blasting music out loud when she's home should be answer enough.

I couldn't properly see her thanks to the gradually darkening sky but she hadn't pulled the curtains to her windows....

Otherwise my only source of entertainment would be gone.

Thank heavens.

She danced pretty good. It was carefree...and yet something felt amiss.

Before I knew it, I was leaning against the window frame and looking at her moving. I contemplated letting her know of my presence by making a remark but thought better of it.