42. Wildcat Vs Wolf

(Lila's P.O.V)

I hadn't expected the onslaught of nervous jitters I was having for the first time in my life before a fight.

The familiar atmosphere did nothing to drown out the pounding of my heart in my ears. I jumped on the balls of my feet, my eyes seeking out Diego once, only to find him tensely watching.

I swung my eyes around, the grinding bodies below me coming to a gyrating halt as the volume of the pulsing music lowered. I found Nora, Michael and Warren sitting in their designated corner and observing with a vigor that was lost on me.

I even spotted someone who looked pretty similar to Rebecca in the corner, leaning against the wall and pushed behind throngs of over enthusiastic teens and adults alike.

Everyone seemed excited.

When Diego caved, Tasha had quickly been informed and since she and the Leopard's make up artist together handled the instagram account of Black & Blue, they'd posted the change in plans.

The response had been as enthusiastic as I'd expected it to be. Comments flooded in and supporters divided. Bets were already placed and the money was piling up. I hope I won.

Nora had texted me, inviting me to come watch the new fighter Wolf against our very own Wildcat and I'd politely declined. Warren didn't bother anymore and Rebecca was surprisingly not here either.

My attention snapped to the side when hoots came up from the crowd, their energy palpable.

The Wolf, decked in a plain blue tank top and black shorts with a wolf-like mask covering everything except his lower mouth and those sinful lips sauntered out and his black-looking eyes locked with mine almost instantly. His tattoos were again hidden under layers of artful makeup but his muscles were on full display and my eyes drank him in hungrily.

No, Lila. Stay focused, don't ogle him. You're mad at him!

This was turning out to seem like a mistake because my emotions were definitley clouding my judgements. Hesitancy sank under my skin but it was too late to back out now.

Besides, if I couldn't take on Derek then I'd fail miserably against Roy.

The reminder sent spurts of fury dancing in my belly and I steeled my spine.

I lowered my lashes, hoping I gave off icy vibes as he ducked under the ring's ropes and entered the space where I was going to wipe the floor with him.

If I didn't loose my senses first, that is.

Standing opposite each other, I tilted my head haughtily despite the fact that he was taller. Derek grinned, his wolfish features stark and his hair raven in the lightiing, shining when the disco lights flitted over once in a while.

"Finally, Wildcat." It was a surprise I could hear him over the noise but I was so attuned to Derek that it came to me like a flowing waterfall. "I've been waiting for this moment since the first day I saw you." His words rang of truth, deep and seductive, his eyes leaving a scorching trail over my exposed skin.

I'd never felt like covering myself up in the ring, enjoying the liberation it granted me from the societal norms and the itch to hide. But Derek's appraisal and words made me shy away not in embarrassment or shame but in a stark sense of vulnerability.

I thought of what his reaction would be if he know who I was. If he saw the branded scar on my breasts.

Aware I couldn't risk speaking at all for I knew he'd recognize me easily if that were to happen, I bit back my retorts and trampled over the familiar urge to sass back to Derek Greyson especially.