24. Slip Of Control

(Lila's P.O.V)

"She was a fake nice girl who deserved it. Every single second of the pain she could've felt—"

I didn't realize when I snapped—or maybe I did—but all I could think of was punching Veronica.

I was internally fuming.

Yet all I did was slap her. Hard.

From the moment she started to goad me, I'd done my best to keep calm.

And when she started to cross the line with her words, I only retorted aptly. With words and not my hands, fisted and itching to break her jaw.

I hoped all those calming and anger controlling exercises Diego forced me to learn wouldn't be in vain.

But alas!

Of course, Veronica was on a mission to see how far she could push me and that, I believe, is justification enough for my actions in retaliation.

The red handprint on Veronica's cheek gave me a twisted sense of glee but it did nothing to calm my whirlwind of emotions.

I'd never hit anyone outside of the ring and this could be considered a fatal mistake on my own part.

However, hearing Veronica belittle my best friend and the pain she went through made my hold on my self-control slip.

My blood was boiling and my jaw was clenched tightly. But my outward appearance would look calm. It was something I'd worked on so as to hide my feelings.

With a serene exterior, I didn't spare anyone a glance as I walked out of the quiet library. The eyes everyone had on me made me feel like ants were crawling over my skin but I didn't show my discomfort.

I'd felt the same way two years ago when Mellisa died but I rather take this than that.

Now all I needed was to get some punches in and hit flesh to relieve my anger.

I swiftly grabbed my bag and books from my locker before making my way out.

There was no way I could spend the rest if of day in school. And I also needed updates on what had happened straight from the source.

It wasn't Mr Serdano who was first on our hit list. However, after some last minute deliberation with Diego, we had arrived at the conclusion that Mayor Welsh should be left for the last considering his crimes and position.

Although guilt pinched me because Michael was my friend, it wasn't enough to make me rethink my plans. Some things needed to be done and this was one of them. Micahel was just unfortunate enough to have a father who took part in crimes like forging medical reports and eventually ruining lives.

The school grounds were sparsely populated as I left the school gates, the clouds a dark grey in the sky as if rain would greet us any time now.

No one followed me.

And I'm not sure whether I felt disappointed or relieved that Derek hadn't pursued me like the last time. I hadn't been able to properly relieve my stress and anger back then when Veronica had brought up Mellisa but I won't lie by saying he didn't end up helping me in his own way.

The thought gave me pause before I shook my head.

No, this was better. Much better.

•♤•

"What the hell, why are you so pissed off!"

I snickered as my opponent, Jay, panted. He glared at me playfully, and I shrugged with my mask on.