05. Universal Signs

(Lila's P.O.V)

You know those moments in your life when you feel like things couldn't be worse and that the universe was conspiring against you?

So, this might not be completely that moment but it was a pretty close call.

I scrutinized the piece of paper in my hands, willing myself to turn into Scott from X-Men for a mere moment of laser eyes.

No such luck.

Derek grinned as he approached me, his left dimple popping up. I gave him a flat look.

"So, I've got the go for soccer tryouts today itself." He seemed satisfied and I sighed. "Now mind telling me all the classes we share, Kitkat?"

That little.....

I ran my tongue over my teeth and glared at Derek's schedule once more.

We'd dropped by the reception and since it was still pretty early, he'd decided to check out information on soccer tryouts when I said I didn't know jack about soccer. 

That was not true.

Nora and I always went to the soccer games thanks to Michael and Warren being on the team. Plus, I liked watching soccer even if I didn't understand the rules most of the time. Fighting was my forte after all, not soccer.

He left me to get his schedule with the explanation that I knew the school and teachers better.

That was true.

I shrugged at him as we started to walk and I inevitably lead us to our first class.

Trying not to show my trepidation at the turn of events I spoke, "Aside from fifth period Physics on Monday, eighth period AP Literature on Wednesday, fifth period Algebra and seventh period US History on Thursdays and second period Geography on Fridays?"

I sighed sadly and wistfully, not even bothering to look at him as I could feel his amusement, I completed my sentence. "All the others. Those five are the only ones we don't share."

He lowly whistled and I risked a glance.

Bad idea, Lila.

"The universe is totally giving us a sign." He made a melodramatic gesture and I rose my brows.

"The same way the universe was giving signs to Lily and Marshall for having a baby when Barney had simply worn a brunette wig, acted like a cab driver so he could bang chicks from all over the world and the golden couple thought it was the fifth and final doppelganger hence the sign that they should have a baby finally?"

Derek opened his mouth and then closed it giving me a perplexed look.

I patted him patronizingly on the chest - trying not to take into consideration the hard muscle I was touching - and tried not to burst out laughing at his clueless expression. "Happens. Not everyone gets 'How I Met Your Mother' references but they're totally epic."

"Right..." He then shook his head as if coming out of the trance and I bit my lip. 

The warning bell rang and I cursed under my breath. The thick mob of teenagers in the hallways was long gone too since Derek and I had to go to the West Wing where the reception was and that was a long journey to and fro.

"Anyways, this means I get to see your beautiful, snarky self mostly always, right?" Derek was back to being annoying and smirked at me.

I tried to avoid the dimple forming on his left cheek and the mussed up hair glinting a dark blue in the reflected sunrays falling on his toned body that really suited him.