30. Birthday Boy

(Derek's P.O.V)

Before I knew it, next month greeted us and it was my special day.

Or so my new friends said.

"You're 18 now. Buy us booze."

Nora shook her head disapprovingly at War's comment and Michael rubbed the back of his neck, his eyes straying to hers.

They sure had come a long way.

I snickered. "Sure."

It was Sunday, so everyone who mattered had decided to arrive unannounced at my house.

Rebecca chuckled and nudged me with her shoulder, "I'm just here for the cake."

War shrugged. "Point."

I didn't miss how his eyes took note of my house and especially the absence of a certain mahogany haired girl.

Like me.

My father came out of the bedroom and smiled wide. "You all must be Derek's friends. Glad to finally meet all of you."

While the introduction happened, my eyes met my Mother's from across the room and I looked away, pained. She'd opened the door but I hadn't let her talk to my friends.

It was evening and War, Michael  Rebecca and 'James' had decided to surprise me.

Once my Dad was satisfied, he left us to ourselves and I decided to head out to the courtyard.

Okay, so maybe that had something to do with Kitkat being my neighbor but....

"Let's go out for a bit." I sighed heavily. "My Mom ordered the cake so it should be here in an hour or two."

"Cool." Michael grinned and I was elated that Nora and he had made paramount progress since Michael's father was put behind bars.

"We brought a cake too, let's keep in the refrigerator." With Rebecca's hands full, we made quick work of putting the chocolate cake away for now.

As we exited, my phone buzzed in my pocket and even though I had an inkling who was bothering me, I was also hoping that it was Kitkat's message.

It wasn't that she didn't wish me or something.

She did.

Kitkat texted me a simple 'Happy Birthday' in the morning and thrown fifty dollars into my room with a note scrawled along saying: money is best.

It was....

Okay, it was disappointing.

There you go.

I was excepting something solid.

I mean birthdays never mattered so much to me anyways but somehow, if she showed she cared.....

I felt like I'd really appreciate it.

Denial is a boat I love sailing in if you haven't figured that out yet.

I checked my phone and grit my teeth.

Me: Thank you.

There was no way I'd give a response more expressive than that to Ana's wishes on my birthday.

The lighter she'd given me as my 16th birthday present burned a hole in my pocket but I couldn't bear to part with it.

Objects carry memories.