28. Backstage

(Derek's P.O.V)

Kitkat smiled.

It wasn't a lie when I said I'd never seen her smile. It was absolutely breathtaking.

And her thanking me? Fuck, that one 'thank you' still makes my heart breat fast.

I exhaled as I finally grabbed my bag and jogged down the stairs. Thinking of Kitkat and our morning exchange as I walked over to her door, I felt somewhat jittery – which was totally unlike me.

I rang the bell and knew she was home so she had to come and open the door.

It was 6 in the evening and I was more than ready to grab Kitkat and rish over to Black & Blue.

"What?" She snapped as soon as she opened the door and a grin spread over my face.

There was something about her snippy, grumpy attitude that always made me feel the opposite.

You know how bitter black coffee is and yet we drink it? How it's so addictive? Yeah, Lila was that black coffee for me.

I'd just volunteer to be the much needed sugar.

"Hello? You here?" Lila snapped her fingers in front of my face, her brows drawn and impatient.

My eyes met with her metallic grey ones and I smirked, grabbing her wrist mid-air. "Where else would I be?"

Kitkat gave me a dubious look, eyeing my hand like it was abhorrent. "In dreamland."

I clicked my tongue, "What would I be doing in dreamland if you're here in front of me?"

She rolled her eyes, snatching away her wrist and I ignored the zing that the touch caused.

"Why are you here, Derek?" She questioned, face impassive.

I leaned closer, resting my weight on the side of the door and flashed her a charming smile, resisting the urge to tuck a stray mahogany hair behind her ear.

That'd be too cliché.

"We have to go somewhere or did you forget so quickly?" I raised a brow.

She groaned and pulled away and I found my eyes dropping to her lips, the proximity making my heart skip a beat.

"Yes. Yes, I remember. Let's get it over with."

I rose a surprised brow. "You're agreeing so easily?"

She glanced at me, "Easily? Uhh, did you forget you had to convince me on two different occasions, one being today morning itself?"

I chuckled, "Right."

Lila went inside for a moment and came back with the key. "Come on. The sooner we leave, the better."

I couldn't agree more but–

"You can't wait to spend some alone time with me, hmm?"

Just as the door locked, Lila turned and responded with a sweet smile. "It's always the best way to murder and hide a body. No witnesses."

I bit my lip to keep from laughing as she glared at me and stormed ahead, her mahogany braid swinging and her oversized pair of clothes hiding her amazing figure yet again.

But for today, I think I'd prefer if she kept her gorgeousness hidden or I might just break someone's jaw–

I stilled, my body freezing mid-stride.

Shit. What am I thinking? Just what in the world am I thinking??

"Derek?" A sweet voice called out from ahead, eyes steeled and head tilted.