18. Confrontations

(Derek's P.O.V)

"This seems like a cozy place."

Rebecca rested her cheek on her hand and stared at me with eyes that hinted at amusement and something tired.

"I really like it here. It has a homey feeling."

I stared at her because I got what she truly meant when she said it.

Rebecca didn't say that as empty words. No, rather she felt the comfort and lack of suffocating space that her 'home' must have provided her with.

"I can see the appeal."

Having placed our orders, Rebecca and I had picked a table in the back for the sake of peace and quiet. While this B&B wasn't bustling with energy, it still had a good amount of customers that seemed like regulars which was completely understandable.

"Yeah." Rebecca's reply was soft as she looked around with a faint smile.

I could tell that she preferred this store rather than her home because it really was an eerie feeling of how her situation was reminding me of my own from two years ago.

I could tell though that the origins of our stories and their paths were vastly different but what we felt along the way wasn't the most unique of feelings.

"And here you go, dearie! 2 blueberry pancakes with lots of maple syrup–" the fifty something owner winked at Rebecca who blushed, "–two vanilla cupcakes, one Caramel Mocha and one Americano!"

Placing the items on the table, Marla gave the two of us a warm smile. Something I'd like to see from my mother.

The way it had been before; that was better than this miserable and confining state she and I were living in.

Staying in the same house, acting like nothing was wrong made me want to puke sometimes. And it wasn't like Dad and Desi hadn't picked up on the strange air between us but they hadn't once brought it up.

And till date I could never decide what I'd have liked for to happen. Be forced to say it or let it pass? Say the truth or let things be?

It was such a heavy decision to make.

Rebecca's voice brought me out of my small reverie.

"Thank you, Marla!" She grinned widely and the woman affectionately gave the two of us a smile before hurrying off to carry out the other orders.

I mused, "It seems like you frequent this place. Marla is familiar with you."

As Rebecca distributed the food between us, placing a plate with delicious looking food in front of me, she replied. "Uh huh. Now try the food."

I chuckled and took a sip from my Americano. "Of course."

The wooden tables placed all around were adorned with carvings on them and the seats were slightly worn out in the nice way, you know? It just makes you feel comfortable instead of the feeling you'd get when you're at a five-star restaurant with pristine seats and flashy adornments.

Rebecca closed her as she ate the pancakes after soaking them in a good amount of syrup.

My eyes trained on her, I admired the cupcakes that were still warm from the oven and with a nice helping of vanilla cream in the center.

"Aren't you oriented about the amount of calorie intake?"

She stopped chewing and smiled, "I'm on the Cheer Squad. It's easy to work off the calories if I just do double the workout I normally do." Rebecca waved her fork in the air. "It's not like I have it everyday either. I just...." She paused. "Really craved it today."