31. Smitten

(Derek's P.O.V)

I finally took the last step, caging Kitkat in with my hands on either side of the kitchen counter.

I wanted to press my body to hers and feel her soft curves against mine, to taste those cherry lips and drown in her sweet scent.

But I didn't push my luck and kept a hairsbreadth of a distance between us. 

It reminded me of the time when I'd had her back pressed to my front at the grocery store. Man, I wish I could have her like that again.

Lila's breath hitched and if I wasn't wrong, her facade faltered as she inched back, her back arching over the counter as if to get away from me.

Now, it was either because she was repelled by me or she was affected and didn't want to show it. The former wasn't possible because come on, I was awesome and she wouldn't silently let someone corner her like this otherwise.

Because that was how she was. She'd never back down from a challenge. Impassively, as if my proximity was nothing to her, she spoke. "Don't you think you're a little too close for comfort?"

I shrugged, bending down so we were eye level. "I like it though."

"I don't." Her breezy refusal didn't deter me. 

"I didn't get a proper birthday gift." I remarked, my eyes snaking down to her lips again. The form fitting clothes didn't do much to hide her assets and I was loving it.

"So?" Her hand went to the collar of my shirt casually, arranging it properly and I froze in surprise, my eyes riveted to her face. A face that was giving away nothing.

Kitkat indolently patted my chest and I felt my heart rate kick up, my muscles stiffening, my body burning up. It was surreal that this five foot nine chick had such an effect on me.

I seized my opportunity though, willing my mind to work. "So, I think you could make up for it with a kiss. Limited time offer, Kitkat." I wiggled my brows flirtatiously.

Her hand feel away and a soft chuckle escaped her pretty lips. I leaned closer, craving more, more, more.

And it was then that she raised her head to meet my eyes, bringing our faces impossibly closer.

Yeah, I was done. So done.

I wanted to kiss her as badly as a man in a desert would want water. Like she was oxygen and I needed her soft lips on mine so I could breathe some air into my lungs. 

I tugged on a stray strand of her mahogany hair, soft to the touch and the urge to tangle my hand in her perfectly styled hair, gripping and pulling on it as I kissed her roughly, with no abandon was overwhelming.

I knew our friends were outside and this was probably not the best time for a kiss but I could hope, right? It wasn't everyday that I could be in kissing range with her.

I swallowed thickly as my blood rushed south.

"Would a simple kiss make you happy?" Her breath whispered across my lips and I breathed in her scent deeply, filling my lungs with air and yet feeling breathless.

"Very." I muttered, my eyelids dipping as I got drunk on the atmosphere.

Lila parted her lips and my heart pounded in my chest—

"Too bad I bought you a gift already."

Her warm hand pressed patronizingly against my cheek and I gulped at the contact before her words registered.

"What?" 

I cursed myself internally for blurting out the first word that popped into my head at her revelation probably looking like a fish out of water with my jaw unhinged.