43. Birthday Girl

(Derek's P.O.V)

"Thanks, Grace but I know." I chuckled, finished with wrapping the velvet box in decorative paper.

"Well, that's good to hear. You know I reminded Lila about your birthday?"

Amused, I remarked, "So you were playing matchmaker?"

"Yep. I told you I was on your side since the day I caught you creeping on my sister on video."

I cringed, switching the phone from speaker to normal. "Won't you please delete it?"

"I'll think about it," she mused. "Anyways, all the best. I talked to Lila already and wished her a happy birthday." Static sounded on her end of the call before she continued, somber in mood. "But I'm so glad you guys are talking normally."

"That'd be an overstatement, Grace."

"Why?"

"Because." I shrugged. "We pretty much dusted the kiss under the rug and...well then some." I thought back on all the instances Lila and I shared and the one time with the Wildcat.

"Yeah but I mean Lila had a hickey and I doubt anyone else got as close to her as you for that to happen."

"I try."

"Good. Don't give up on her please, she's not an easy nut to crack but Mellisa's death messed with my sister big time." Grace was being too forward but I guess Nora had been keeping her updated about everything happening here especially concerning Lila. Because there was no way Lila would share such things with anyone herself.

With a heavy heart, I replied. "Yeah, I know." I shrugged, "We pretty much talk normally but it's just that we have a lot unsaid and unsorted. We'll have to talk it out soon."

"I'm sure it'll be fine." Grace reassured me and I sighed nervously. "It's four in the morning though." I rose an inquisitive brow aware she couldn't see me but still.

"Yeah and?"

"And Lila's usually always asleep. She hates waking up early."

Grace laughed, "And you're already so attuned to her habits. But today is her birthday so it's an exception, I suppose."

"Great. Understood. I wanna catch her soon though, so I'll talk to you later."

"Sure, have fun kiddo." Then Grace paused. "And, uh, thanks for not giving up on her."

Before I could respond, Lila's sister had cut the call. I stared at it and then a smile tugged at my lips.

Grace had called me up a few days back and asked if I had anything prepared for Lila's birthday.

I did.

I'd started preparing a few days after my very own birthday wanting to make her gift even more special. And now this gift was going to be the bridge that'd heal the rift caused between us, the distance that couldn't be seen.

Luckily, today was a Saturday and not a school day. We had plans to spend the evening with Lila since her parents had taken the day off to spend it with her. I had to wait a while before I could get her alone but I was up for it. 

Desiree had left when her small vacation was over after my birthday and she hadn't been able to bring up the incident to Dad. Although she promised we would tackle it, she also said she needed time to process the facts and the consequences it might bear for us as a family if Dad were to know.

Lila hadn't said much about this because we hadn't talked deeply about anything in a while. However, tonight would surely change that.

I'd make sure of it.