16. Jalapeños

(Lila's P.O.V)

"Why was he here to talk to you?"

I pushed down, applying more pressure on the hold I had on Diego's arm twisted behind his back.

He humored me by wincing. "Ow, that hurts, Lila."

"You deserve it." I snickered and let go of him and he rubbed his twisted arm, turning to face me.

"Why did I deserve that?"

"Please refrain from using that look on me. It's useless."

The innocent wide eyes he was making and the face devoid of sinful shyness now returned to its original state. The look might have worked on girl's that were waiting to jump him but I was like a little sister so...

Tough luck, mate.

I unwrapped my hands, breathing heavily and glared. "Are you really not going to tell me what you're doing with Derek?"

Diego shrugged, sitting down onto the bench press and I proceeded to stare him down. "I'm not keeping a secret, you'll know soon so don't fret."

Anger simmered under my skin like water ready to boil and I inhaled deeply.

Once Derek had left with Diego, I dropped the pretenses and went to my training room to get some real workout done. God only knew how I'd managed to not punch some random dude.

Or more preferably: Derek The Looney Tunes.

I was perplexed as to why they were meeting and the one possible outcome I had in my mind was something I doubted Diego would risk.

He wouldn't allow Derek to join Blue and fight here. No way.

Since it took them more than half an hour in there–yes, I had the timer on and my training room gives me an unobstructed view of Diego's meeting study–I felt it fine to text Derek regarding my leaving after about fifteen minutes.

Derek had surprisingly left after about a half hour workout in the outside gym and jeez was the boy fine.

I could appreciate those muscles plus with that godly face and those dimples and copper eyes, he made a very good eye feast. Truth be told, if he wasn't so annoying and...well, Derek, I'd have made out with him just for the sake of it.

Dang, he missed out just because of his personality.

I glowered at Diego, my thoughts doing a one-eighty. "Fine, I'll leave."

"Take it easy, okay? I heard about the truffle in school." Dark eyes watched me as I packed my stuff up, already showered and stinking again after I fought with Diego when he came into the room.

I stilled for a second before scoffing.

Honestly speaking, I knew I shouldn't have let anger get the best of me but I did because sometimes some topics are sensitive and bitches like Rebecca use them to hurt a person. But the insinuation that I'd bring death to someone else's door didn't sit well with me at all.

Diego spoke again, "We're so close, Lila and you know what?"

I tapped stop on my iPhone, halting Selena Gomez's Bad Liar that was playing in the background speakers.

I glanced at him as he gave me a small smirk as he continued, "You don't know it yet, but we just skipped a lot of time and a lot of steps. But what I've got up my sleeve will be super helpful."

"I trust you, Diego. I do. But I hate it when you don't share parts of your plans with me." I tilted my head, "Technically, they're our plans."

But I knew that no matter what secret he kept from me, he would never harm me. On purpose at least. It was uncanny to think how I trusted him this much but I didn't fear he would leave me in the dust some day. I had that faith in him. Maybe it was because I knew a couple of his secrets and I knew him as a person too.